Picture freezing on multiple boxes
madmonk1

For the past 3 weeks I have been having a lot of freezing and stuttering on all channels. Some times it last a for second or two and sometimes longer. It does it on both tv sets, one is a standard hd box the other is a dvr box.

About a week and a half ago everything went out for about 70-80 minutes. You could see where it said verzion and the boxes were on, just all the channels were unavalable like there was an interuption on Verizons end somewhere.

Half the time we can't even view the HD channels because when we switch to them they freeze or are just not there. Sometimes the boxes freeze and we have to turn them off for a minute to get back to watching the channels.

I have reset the boxes indiviually and I though it might have worked for a half a day but i think that was just wishful thinking. I have reset the modem and nothing. All the wiring has been the same since we have had FIOS. Everything is hooked up fine. I have run tests from Veriozon and they come back fine.

I truly think that it is at Verizon especially since all the channels went out on both tv's that one night. Is there anything else to try without having a technician out that I have to pay for?

0 Likes
Re: Picture freezing on multiple boxes
CDOsr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Boy, add me to the list of people with HD problems.  Fox News (618), FBN (617), 1AmerNews (616), NatGeo, FYI, and about a dozen other HD channels are so Pixelated (signal gaps) or just a frozen screen with or without audio.  So many of these are totally unwatchable.  And it's been at least 2 weeks.

At first I attributed this to some storms in the area, you know, high winds buffeting the satellite dishes at the uplink or downlink sites but this is been too long on the same channels.

I've done all the "self help" things and I certainly do not think it's my home wiring as I recently upgraded to Quantum and the techs checked the whole house wiring at that time.

I suppose it's time to call verizon, they ought to be caught up after the strike by now, but I'm afraid all I'll get is the old "unplug it, wait 10 minutes, plug it back in" circle.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check your connections.

Start at the ont and make sure that each coax connection is tight.

Even if it feels tight, loosen and then tighten.

0 Likes
Btaboada

I am having the same issue on my TVs (that is why I am on here).  And yes, the connections are tight.   To me it almost seems like a bandwidth issue. It really makes watching TV difficult especially as the audio typically cuts out when it is occuring.

0 Likes
CDOsr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just got off the phone with Tech Support.  They said the Signal-to-Noise ratio (SNR) on my channels is below 30 with the worst channels being around 26.  They are sending someone out to check it out.  Considering that I upgraded to Quantum in February and they checked all the connections back then I don't suspect the connection.  I will post a message when they tell me what they found and fixed.

In the meantime, you can check the SNR on your box by first tuning to a channel that has the issue.  Then, on the remote, select "menu" -> "settings" -> "system information" (the one with the version numbers) and then hit the "Info" button for an additional screen.  The SNR that that specific channel is listed in the left column of values.  To check another channel, change the channel and repeat the menu choices.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Even though you just installed in Feb, something could be loose.

Never hurts to check.

Or could be bad cable. You might see something when you check.

0 Likes
CDOsr
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Tech just left.  The problem was the ONT outside.  He replaced the internal board and that fixed the problem.  The Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) was in the mid-20's on the worst of the channels, near 30 on the ones with pictures that had multiple line dropouts but good audio.  After replacing the ONT the SNR was above 40 on all the channels I tested.

The Tech was quick, efficient, courteous, and told me all the magic he was doing.  So far in my several dealings with FiOS Techs I have been extremely satisfied.  Thanks Verizon folks.

I don't know what the original poster's problem is/was so I'm not going to mark this as "solved" but my problem certainly is.

Djjoshuacarl

this is SOOOOOO annoying. I just upgraded maybe 6 weeks ago and I get sporatic Audio/Video Freeze

I checked my SNR and Im getting good /  40-41 DB on the Channel and 26.7DB on the Settop Box

for the amount of money Im seriously considering going back to Xfinity.

((I actually work in AV and know all my connections are money, that was the first thing Ive checked, and did all prescribed standard resets and such))

0 Likes
kdex86
Enthusiast - Level 3

The picture quality on many channels here in Massachusetts has been atrocious!  One of the affected channels is NESN HD (Ch. 576).  Tonight's Red Sox game is unwatchable, there are horizontal artifacts showing up on my TV screen every 5 seconds, and sometimes the channel "skips", similar to watching an OTA channel with a weak signal!  Unfortunately, because I selected a plan with a 2-year agreement just 2 months ago, switching to a different provider is not an option unless I'm willing to pony up a $220 early termination fee.

Anyways, here is a list of the affected channels in my area:

551 TNT HD
553 FX HD
576 NESN HD
577 CSNNE HD
583 FS1 HD
616 One America News HD
617 Fox Business HD
618 Fox News HD
620 Discovery HD
621 Nat. Geo HD
622 Science Channel HD
623 Investigation Discovery HD
629 FYI HD
630 Animal Planet HD
639 TLC HD
640 Lifetime HD
641 Lifetime Movie Network HD
650 QVC HD
657 Evine HD
658 WOW HD
683 truTV HD
697 Viceland HD
699 Freeform HD
731 AMC HD
734 IFC HD
746 HDNet Movies
770 BET HD
783 Discovery Family HD
793 Daystar HD

0 Likes
cbinma

Also having the same problem here in Central Ma on the same channels. It was really bad last nite to where it was unwatchable on some channels. It is better this morning.

0 Likes