Picture in Picture
Magoo9

One of the features I used to use on my TV was Picture in Picture. Since Verizon when 100% digital you can not hook the cable line into the cable outlet to get P-N-P. I order another free converter to try and do this but since the remote are programed the same it changes both channels.

Any Ideas on resolve 

0 Likes
Re: Picture in Picture
Deborah
Enthusiast - Level 1
I have a 2-tuner tv with both a dvr and a digital converter attached to the TV.  I use the numbers on the remote to change both boxes to one of the channels I want to watch.  Then I use the guide to change the channel of the dvr.  Using the guide doesn't change the channel on the digital converter.  This way I can watch two different shows.  Hope this helps.
Justin46
Legend

Deborah,

That is really creative! Thanks. The only suggestions I have seen in the past have had one of the boxes way off to the side so that it doesn't respond to the signal to the other box. Too bad the digital adapter won't do HD, but your idea is sure far better than nothing.

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX 

0 Likes
Magoo9
Great idea. I will set that up today.
0 Likes
NewFiosLover271

Verizon DVR should be like DishNetwork's. Need only one box and one connection. This subject seems very weird. Since you are able to record a program and watch another on Fios, then whats the problem with picture in picture? Why do you need a totally second device when there is a dual tuner available? When hooking up a second device, you should be able to see three sources rather then just one from each device!

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

The problem is that you need code (and perhaps additional hardware, I don't know) in the DVR to take the outputs of the two tuners and put them together into one stream on a single channel to send to the TV, with probably user options to resize the PIPs, move them around, etc. That code (and hardware?) does not exist on the Verizon version of the DVR now. Who knows, if enough people complain to Verizon, maybe they will add that support in the future, I certainly would like to have it, since my HD LCD does not have built-in PIP so I can't even use the technique mentioned earlier. (Note that the remote has a PIP button, and if you press it the Remote light on the DVR blinks, so the button is active and the DVR sees it, it just ignores it) 

Hope that makes sense. 

Justin
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Justin wrote:

(Note that the remote has a PIP button, and if you press it the Remote light on the DVR blinks, so the button is active and the DVR sees it, it just ignores it) 

Hope that makes sense. 

Justin
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

That PIP button is associted with the TV function.  If your TV supported PIP then that button would activate it.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Keyboards wrote:

That PIP button is associted with the TV function.  If your TV supported PIP then that button would activate it.

OK????....but if that is true, why does the light on the DVR flash when I push that button? It clearly is recognizing the signal as meant for it (STB was the last device button pushed). Now if I push the TV button first, then the DVR does not recognize the signal (light does not flash), and I agree, it would be meant for the TV. But it seems to me that, if the DVR had the code (and hardware?) in it to process the command it received, it would work (and I understand there are other STBs in use in other systems, including Motorola boxes, that do support PIP in the STB).

Where am I wrong?

Justin
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Justin wrote:

OK????....but if that is true, why does the light on the DVR flash when I push that button? It clearly is recognizing the signal as meant for it (STB was the last device button pushed). Now if I push the TV button first, then the DVR does not recognize the signal (light does not flash), and I agree, it would be meant for the TV. But it seems to me that, if the DVR had the code (and hardware?) in it to process the command it received, it would work (and I understand there are other STBs in use in other systems, including Motorola boxes, that do support PIP in the STB).

Where am I wrong?

Justin
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

All I knbow is that my old 4:3 tube had PIPand that button would control it.  Not to say that if they were able to turn on the function from the STB that it wouldn't be recognized, but I think I have read from others that the Moto hardware doesn't support PIP.  Just some second hand information - YMMV Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Keyboards,

I don't think we are that far apart then.

I understand that the button will control the PIP in a TV, I think I basically sorta said it looked like it did (my TV does not have PIP capability so I can't test it).

And as I said in a previous post that the DVR "as is" doesn't provide PIP. But with software, and maybe hardware, it could, and it appears that the remote will try to use that if it is there. Since my TV does not support PIP itself, I sure wish Verizon would look into adding that support into the STB (but maybe they can't without additional hardware). 

Anyway, the STBs do not have PIP support today, which is the important point here.

Justin
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

0 Likes