Picture-in-picture capable tv with FIOS
bcmchong

Hi, I'm hoping I can get some tips/pointers on how to set this up. I have a TV that has "picture-in-picture" capability - you can watch one channel whilst have a little corner of the TV showing another channel. Does anyone have any idea how I set this up? Do I need to have 2 signals coming into the TV? Thanks in advance for any and all info. Please feel free to email me directly - bcmchong at hotmail.

Thanks much. 

0 Likes
Re: Picture-in-picture capable tv with FIOS
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

You would need 2 sources into the TV.  If the TV has a QAM tuner, it could be used as one of the inputs for local SD, local HD, and the music channels by splitting the cable and connecting one to the STB and one to the TV RF input (there are no analog channels on the FiOS system so an older  "cable ready" set is of no use).  Otherwise you would need 2 STBs and have to deal with the issue of them responding simultaneously to the remote as there are no "alternate" codes for any of the Moto boxes.

Hope that answers your question.

0 Likes
bcmchong
What's a QAM tuner? Thanks.
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
QAM is a modulation scheme that is used by cable companies for digital TV broadcast - Quadrature Amplitude Modulation.  Analog cable systems and older TVs use NTSC (in the US) - this is the modulation scheme that was used in boadcast TV until June 12th of this year when the US went all digital using a modulation commonly referred to as ATSC.  Unless your TV is newer it will not have a QAM or ATSC tuner - try looking in the manual under specifications and see what it lists for tuning.  If it only says something like "120 channel cable ready" then it doesn't have a QAM tuner.
0 Likes
bcmchong
Will check that out. Thanks very much for the info.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Here is a link to a thread from last year with a creative solution that works (for a few extra bucks per month):

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_TV&thread.id=1655&view=by_date_ascending&...

See the second post in that thread. 

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes