Picture too Large for Screen
james6912
Is there a way to adjust the cable box so that the picture adjusted properly to fit the screen?  Currently I have a Phillips 30 inch Widescreen HD tv and certain channels dont fit the screen.  (ESPN News QVC Fox Business) .   The Tv does not have a strecth or zoom feature, I looked in the manual.
0 Likes
Re: Picture too Large for Screen
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@james6912 wrote:
Is there a way to adjust the cable box so that the picture adjusted properly to fit the screen?  Currently I have a Phillips 30 inch Widescreen HD tv and certain channels dont fit the screen.  (ESPN News QVC Fox Business) .   The Tv does not have a strecth or zoom feature, I looked in the manual.

What do you have your 4:3 override set to?  Try setting it to "OFF".  This will output in whatever your HD resolution is set to with "pillars" for SD content.  The other thing is what do you have the output resolution set to?  My guess is that your 30" set has a native resolution at  720p (or near that).  If you are set for 1080i output it may be the scaler in your TV causing the image over the screen size issue.

0 Likes
james6912
I believe the 4: 3 override is set to off and the output resolution is set to 1080i, so you suggest trying it at 720p?
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@james6912 wrote:
I believe the 4: 3 override is set to off and the output resolution is set to 1080i, so you suggest trying it at 720p?

Just a stab at a possible fix.  If your overide is off I assume you get pillars on the sides - if not then your set is doing some kind of stretch even though it is not a menu option. 

Don't know the native resolution of your set, but most that are under 40" used to be 720p (768 or 700 something - not a true HDTV resolution) even though they will handle a 1080i input they have to "down-res" to display.  It certainly can't hurt to try it and see if it fixes your issue.  This might cause black bars above and below.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Certain HD channels are not always broadcast in widescreen so they will appear as 4:3 on your TV. If you want SD channels to fill the screen you need to set 4:3 override to 480i or stretch which ever one looks best on your TV.
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Telcoguru wrote:
Certain HD channels are not always broadcast in widescreen so they will appear as 4:3 on your TV. If you want SD channels to fill the screen you need to set 4:3 override to 480i or stretch which ever one looks best on your TV.

Re-read the OP (it's in the title of this thread).  His complaint was that the picture is too big, not that it doesn't fill the screen.

0 Likes
james6912
Thank You for all the responses, I actually went through the manual again.  The Tv does have all sort of resizing options but for whatever reason the av outlet that the fios box hooks into you can not use that feature. I tried changing the AV outlets but the Fios only worked on the AV input that you are not able to resize.  Do you think the Fios technician would be able to fix this for me, they will be out there at the end of the November.
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Keyboards I read his post. I missed the subject line.
0 Likes
markperez
Contributor - Level 1
If I am reading your issue right I have the same problem on some stations but have not made a mental list of what stations they are. When I notice on of the crawlers at the bottom of the screen sometimes half of the crawl is below the bottom of the tv screen. Other times the broadcast logo is cut off. Is that the issue you are having? I have not tried to find a solution as it hasn't been that big of an issue and is not happing with most stations so I just figured it was a station issue.
0 Likes