Re: Pixelation and sound issues
dimi1963
Enthusiast - Level 1
After the initial problem, where I was not receiving all the HD channels, was resolved. I have started noticing (on all 4 HD STBs) some occasional tiling and audio drops on the new HD channels. I thought that perhaps Verizon was still working on my issue and thus I gave it a couple of weeks; as of today I am still experiencing the pixelation issues.  I only experience the issues on the newly added channels (i.e. SCI-FI-HD, USA-HD, etc...). I had two technicians coming to the house, the signal is good, one of the techs also tried swapping one of the DVR boxes, but no changes, I am still experiencing the issue. So after many hours of troubleshooting the second tech was not able to pinpoint the issue. He then told me that one of his colleague told him that there is a known issue with Alcatel ONT, which is the cause of the pixelation on the new HD channels. He said that the problem is being investigated by Verizon and Alcatel, he also left me his phone number and told me to check-in with him in a couple of days. Although I have appreciated his effort, I smell BS. We'll see.
Message Edited by dimi1963 on 08-18-2008 11:09 AM
0 Likes
Ordinant

Just_helping's {please post courteously} reply is not helping. Here are some facts:

HDMI is a digital connector. The RGB component video ports are analog connectors.

If you connect a digital cable box to a digital TV through HDMI, the signal stays in the digital domain all the way to the screen. 

If you connect a digital cable box through component video to a digital TV, you are asking the cable box to convert the digital signal to analog component HD video, then transmit it to the digital TV. The digital TV then must transform the analog signal back to digital. 

Thus, when you have a digital signal source and a digital TV, by far the fastest, cleanest, least-converted signal is through HDMI, with DVI a close second. Use component video only for older HDTVs that don't have a digital input port, or when connecting older signal sources such as DVHS that only provide component video output. 

Message Edited by CharlotteS on 08-18-2008 02:24 PM
0 Likes
Joe01880
Contributor - Level 1

There is no CLOSE second, DVI is a digital conection just as HDMI is. DIGITAL video interface!

HDMI is a smaller connector and came out shortly after DVI so the DVI format was dropped for HDMI mainly due to manufactering costs.

DVI like HDMI is also capable oif tranfering audio signal but with the adoption of HDMI as industry standard that aspect oif DVI was not exploited.

Marketing also plays in to the switch from DVI to HDMI.

Guess you think a $200 HDMI cable is better thena $20 one too!

0 Likes
Just_helping

RGB is not component video. They are different connectors.

Yes, HDMI requires the least amount of processing. I said nothing contrary to that. I said the component cables will work just as well unless you are watching 1080p, which is not being transmitted on FiOS (at least not yet). Component cables are analog, not digital, but I'm not so sure the TV has to put it back to digital since the component inputs are designed to see an analog signal.

Not sure how the processing relates to this problem. The "help" i provided was to isolate the problem, not figure out where processing takes place or if qam, phase, and amplitude are falling in the right order.

cheers,

Shannon

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Just_helping wrote:

Component cables are analog, not digital, but I'm not so sure the TV has to put it back to digital since the component inputs are designed to see an analog signal.

Not sure how the processing relates to this problem. The "help" i provided was to isolate the problem, not figure out where processing takes place or if qam, phase, and amplitude are falling in the right order.

cheers,

Shannon

Shannon -

A flat panel display is digital by definition.  If the signal coming in is analog (as in component) then it has to be processed by an Analog to Digital converter for the TV to display the image.  So, if you use component you start with a digital signal (MPEG-2 from Verizon), the STB converts it to analog (component output), and the TV has to convert it back to digital.  Since no converter is perfect this now allows multiple places for errors to be introduced in the original programming material - regardless if it is 1080P or 480i (though the higher the resolution the more likely).  Just "simple" electronics theory Smiley Very Happy

0 Likes
Ordinant

Shannon, you are technically correct that the component video connectors used in the US do not convey a pure RGB signal in the same way a VGA connector does. I used the term RGB loosely and colloquially, meaning only to remind readers that the component video connectors are almost always color-coded Red, Green, and Blue. Wikipeida has a good article on the relationship between RGB and component video at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video.

In addition to suggesting troubleshooting steps, your original note said "The point is that there is no real benefit from using the HDMI cable, except that it looks neater behind the set." That is what my note was countering. When using a digital TV, that statement is just simply wrong, as has been amply demonstrated in this thread.

Joe O: You are correct that my sentence as written does not state the case for DVI being an also-ran second choice. Yes, you do get the same "fastest, cleanest, least-converted" video signal through DVI as through HDMI. What I failed to convey is that DVI is a video-only connector and does not support the HDCP copy protection required by some signal sources. By contrast, the HDMI cable standard supports both digital video plus multi-channel digital audio, and it fully supports HDCP. HDMI provides a single-cable connection for both video and audio, if your TV or receiver are new enough to know how to convert incoming digital audio signals as well as digital video. Connecting video through DVI always requires separate connections for the audio signals, whether digital or analog. In this light, DVI is a pretty weak second choice. Marketing plays no role in the science described in this paragraph, and in the adoption of HDMI over DVI as the industry standard. It's a better connector, purely and simply.

I apologize to Shannon and to all readers if you read the opening of my note above, in the absence of a smiley to indicate a wink, as caustic, harsh, or discourteous in any way. There was word play intended in the two uses of "helping."

This sure is a tough crowd on this FiOS forum. I have to be even more precise than usual! And humorless, to boot. Sigh.

[This note was much wittier before the forum editors got their hands on it. I wish you could read the original.]

Message Edited by Ordinant on 08-20-2008 09:24 PM
0 Likes
xboarder

OK.  You are all VERY technical but have gotten away from the thread and about cabling options.  I have recently run into the pixelation problem too.  I am running a 37" Panasonic LCD with the HD DVR.  I haven't had any problems, for the most part, for quite some time.  I have completed some construction projects in my home and ran new Coax in the house, putting on my own fittings, etc.  I removed the 4-way splitter and put on a 2-way.  After this work, everything worked just fine.  Currently, from the backup power supply I installed the splitter which goes to my router and to my TV.  My internet connect is running fine and my VOIP phone service is fine.  I had an HDMI cable originally, however, when I moved the TV from the bedroom downstairs to the family room 8 months ago, I had issues with the HDMI.  I replaced it with an S-video cable to get by.  I had read that there were issues with the HDMI cable in the past and have not spent the time to follow up (as I was trying to finish my major construction project). 

A lot of rambling, I know, but with all of this information, do I need to get the service technician or can I solve this on my own?  I did reset the STB this morning.  This did not help.

Thanks.

Rob

0 Likes
goducks

I'm having a similar issue with pixelation and audio dropouts, particularly noticable on the Olympic broadcasts.  On the dsl reports website there was mention that it had much to with the NBC feed itself (included technical jargon regarding 1080i and 60 Hz conversion etc) and was therefore widespread.  In this forum it seems that the problem may in fact have more to do with Verizon issues and/or wiring.  I'm just wondering if there are a significant number of people getting a great picture (particularly in fast motion) with the NBC broadcast...if so it would point me (and others) to contacting Verizon for a fix.

0 Likes