Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get gifts fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same-day delivery.

Pixellation / macroblocking on Ch 253-256 in Boston area

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Pixellation / macroblocking on Ch 253-256 in Boston area

Message 1 of 5
(2,577 Views)

These four channels have been exhibiting major pixellation/macroblocking problems for the past few days. Previously they worked fine. Ch 259 also exhibits the same behavior. No other channels are affected as far as I can tell, just these (unfortunately, three of my kids' favorite shows are on 256, Nick Jr.).

I've had FiOS TV since January and haven't had any problems.  I use a CableCard-M with a TiVo HD XL. Everything has worked perfectly up until a few days ago, and I haven't changed any equipment. 

Any ideas?  Has anyone else experienced similar problems with these channels recently?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Re: Pixellation / macroblocking on Ch 253-256 in Boston area

Message 2 of 5
(2,533 Views)

I'm also in the Boston area. I just did a quick 5 second watch of each of them and didn't see any problems.

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 3 of 5
(2,514 Views)

I didn't hear about anything similiar from this or other message boards.   Did the problem correct itself?  or is it still there? 

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 4 of 5
(2,502 Views)

I have a problem very similar.  I have 2 channels, where the signal is too weak.  All the others are fine  (100% on my TivoHD, these 2 are 47-54% quality).

I was advised to change my cable wire as a kink in it can affect specific frequencies and cause small dropouts at specific frequencies.  I bought a 50 ft wire and connected it directly, sure enough, the problem went away.  So the cable in my wall was bad.  I pulled a new one throughat the baseboard and works fine.

Got the first part of the wall one out and sure enough a staple had gone through the ground.

So, it could very well be cable...Pixellization is usually caused in a Tivo by a weak signal .  The fact it is 4 channels together is a pretty good sign of a dropout.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 5 of 5
(2,481 Views)

I had Pixellation on a few channels when I first got my HD Tivo running with Fios. My signal strength on the diagnostics screen was 98 so I knew it wasn't a weak signal. It was in fact too strong of a signal. I added a 10db attenuator to the input cable and my uncorrected RS errors went from ~2500 to 0. Now every channel looks perfect.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.