Pixilated Picture
strang66

Over the course of the last few weeks, I have been getting pixilation while viewing TV.  It seems to be happening on every channel.  It is not constant, but it occurs every few minutes.  Is there any way of correcting this problem?  It is getting very annoying

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Pixilated Picture
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I had this problem at the end of September, and the problem was my (eight-year-old) ONT was going bad. For me, the pixelation started at the lowest channels (e.g., 4, 5, 9, etc.) and got to the point that they were unwatchable. The HD versions of those channels (e.g., 504, 505) we much better, but had minor pixelation. It seemed like the "pixelation rot" was working it's way up.

I downloaded and used Verizon's in-home agent, which walked me through some troubleshooting steps (some of which you already tried). I don't usually have much luck with these tools, but the agent eventually concluded that this couldn't be fixed remotely and took me to an only trouble ticking system. I had a "new" (i.e., refurbished) ONT a few days later. The Verizon tech had a analyzer that he hooked up to the video out from the old ONT and showed it was bad on almost all channels. He swapped it out for a new one.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have more than 1 stb, does it happen on all?

Have you tried checking coax connections?

Loose connections can cause pixelation.

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I had this problem at the end of September, and the problem was my (eight-year-old) ONT was going bad. For me, the pixelation started at the lowest channels (e.g., 4, 5, 9, etc.) and got to the point that they were unwatchable. The HD versions of those channels (e.g., 504, 505) we much better, but had minor pixelation. It seemed like the "pixelation rot" was working it's way up.

I downloaded and used Verizon's in-home agent, which walked me through some troubleshooting steps (some of which you already tried). I don't usually have much luck with these tools, but the agent eventually concluded that this couldn't be fixed remotely and took me to an only trouble ticking system. I had a "new" (i.e., refurbished) ONT a few days later. The Verizon tech had a analyzer that he hooked up to the video out from the old ONT and showed it was bad on almost all channels. He swapped it out for a new one.

Gweagraff
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, there's nothing you can do about it. Just live with it. At least you can still watch TV.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are a number of things that can be done.

Can be:

1) bad ont

2) bad coax

3) bad splitter

4) bad stb

Just takes some work to diagnose.

personaldefense

Pixilation on my TV service only ocurs in late afternoon and evening. Late night and most of the day everything works perfectly. I'm repeated told it's my splitters or some other lip service. But the problem is that everyone on my street has the same problem at the same time. Verizon is unwilling to admit the problem is bandwidth o some other use related issue. When everyone on the block is home more people are watching TV and using the Internet. That's when the service pixilates. To accomodate Verizon I bought a 50 foot new cable and went directly from the FIOS box in my garage to the DVR. This bypassed ALL the wiing and splitters in my house. The problem still occurred.

Call the Public Service Commission and report Verizon. We're being ripped-off. And shpuld you switch back to cable give them a 4-hour window when they can it in your driveway and wait for you to get home if hey want their equipment back.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

One thing to keep in mind is that TV service for FIOS is always there.

All channels broadcast to your house all the time.

And it takes completely different bandwidth than Internet.

Have you called support back after trying a cable that goes direct from ONT to STB and tell them you still have an issue?

oceanexpress1
Enthusiast - Level 3

We get pixalition on pay on-demand movies quite frequently.  It is fixed by rebooting the DVR/set top box.   Kind of a pain as the re-boot takes several minutes.

0 Likes