Playback skips when fast forwarding
swollengoat
Enthusiast - Level 2

When watching a program on the DVR and I fast forward or skip ahead through commercials, the playback will jump 20 or 30 minutes further into the program. It happens to different programs at different playback times. For example, this week's better call saul jumps at 30 minutes to 50 minutes. The only way to watch the program is to playback without any skipping.

What's really bad is this is the 2nd DVR box it's happening to. On the previous one, I called CS and walked through the steps and was told the DVR was faulty. After replacing it (losing all recorded shows), it' is frustrating to have this happen again on a new box. No reset, soft or hard, or agent fix is doing anything to correct this problem. 

Anyone else having this same problem?

0 Likes
Re: Playback skips when fast forwarding
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

NEED MORE EQUIPMENT INFO

Set Top Box Model No.

STB/DVR Model No.

Remotes

Tv's

Then someone can comment 

0 Likes
jjamberger
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same issue, especially with Better Call Saul. I called customer service and the rep told me it was a software issue that FIOS is aware of. No ETA to fix the issue.  

Im guessing this is purposefully done to get people to watch the commercials. It seems to me, some sort of test as it only happens on Saul and no I show I watch.

swollengoat
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for replying - it's so bizarre, every single Better Call Saul has the issue. I usually end up taping two of them and then watching the second one. Hopefully they have it fixed before next season.

0 Likes
jxb2

I'm having the exact same issue.  Has any progress been made or has a fix been developed?  Thanks for reporting this.

0 Likes
Skywaves

Similar problem here.  QIP7232 2 STB connected to the TV in question, not remotely operated.

Unit worked OK for a number of months, but then started loosing it's place when using the SKIP function.  Problem became progressively worse.  I also now see problems with FAST FORWARD.  Some times it gets jumpy.  Progress bar looses its place, and the program jumps back to the beginning in both cases.

After 40 years in the computer design business, my SWAG (sill wild-assed guess) is that it could be a hard-dribe fragmentation issue.  Is ther a proceedure to "defrag" the drive.

Positive resolution of this problem will keep me from going back to Xfinity.

Sky

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of things:

7232 is the older model stb so it is anticipated to have few if any more updates.

If you don't have much saved on your HD, fragmentation is probably not a big issue.

More likely, IMHO, HD is probably on its way to failure.

0 Likes
swollengoat
Enthusiast - Level 2

I ended up swapping out the first box I had for a new one and it had the same issue, so I'm not sure if it's a defrag issue. I guess the 'new' box could actually be a previously used one that they only wiped the data and didn't defrag. 

As far as I can tell, there is no way to defrag these boxes. I've tried changing the skip to different times like 10 seconds, it still happens.

I guess I don't know why I bother to keep paying for something that doesn't work at its most basic level.

0 Likes