Playing DVR Recording to Laptop (Bait & Switch?)
mfidelman1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I signed up for Quantum service precisely so I could watch DVR recordings from my hotel room, while traveling.

As described in Verizon's FAQ:

With Fios Quantum TV Advanced Mobility, you can:

• Access previously recorded DVR content on your mobile device or tablet while out-of-home and connected to a Wi-Fi or a 3G/LTE mobile network

Except that you CAN'T play DVR recordings on anything but the mobile app - which only runs on smartphones and tablets (unless I'm missing something, and the Verizon tech support person I talked to is also missing something).

Last time I looked, a laptop is a "mobile device." But, while you can watch "live" tv via the browser interface, you can't access DVR content.   Who the heck wants to watch video on a small screen, when you have a larger one available.  And you can't even Chromecast to a tv, if one is available.

Anybody from Verizon care to comment?
0 Likes
Re: Playing DVR Recording to Laptop (Bait & Switch?)
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is a peer to peer support forum.

Verizon doesn't respond to posts here.

And I would think most agree that laptops are not what most people think if these days when mobile devices are mentioned.

The most logical reason I couikd think is that with PCs, you can stop people from hooking them up to TVs. That would compete against stbs. Probably easier to pirate as well.

So it could be content providers.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Agree with CRobGauth that the definition of "mobile device or tablet" when used in this context means a device capable of running the mobile app (i.e. a smart phone or table).  That definition is not unique to Verizon as I've seen it used similarly in other senarios.

The key is being able to run the "app".  Your laptop, while mobile, can't run the app.   Same would apply to an old or off-brand phone which couldn't run the "app".  

What would be interesting, although off topic a bit, would be if some of the newer models of Smart TV's that can run apps from one of the mobile application stores would look like a "mobile" device and work. 

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If android or IOS, possibly.

Can't you sideload android apps to Chromecast?

mfidelman1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've seen replies here from Verizon staff (though if anyone can supply a "complaints" email - I'd really appreciate it - I sure can't seem to find one).

As to laptops not being "mobile devices" - I can only point to Verizon promotional literature for FIOS Quantum - much of which includes picture of laptops, and phrases like "watch dozens of channels and programs instantly on your compatible smartphone tablet or computer."  (emphasis mine)

I'll also note that the FIOS web interface lets you do everything the mobile app does, watch live and on-demand content from a laptop, and re. the DVR - control recordings, list them, delete them.  The ONLY thing you can't do on a laptop is actually watch those recordings.

Not only is that a really annoying lack of functionality, it also seems like false advertising.  It would be really nice if Verizon were to fix that.

mfidelman1
Enthusiast - Level 2

re:

If android or IOS, possibly.

Can't you sideload android apps to Chromecast?

That's not the problem.  The problem is being able to WATCH ON A LAPTOP - not chromecast to a TV.  The whole point is to be able to watch recorded material, on a reasonable sized screen, when in a location where a TV is not available.

As a side comment - it does not seem possible to use any of the Android screen mirroring applications (e.g. Samsung Sidesync, Mirroring360) with the FIOS Mobile app.  You can mirror the FIOS app perfectly, to a Mac - UNTIL you try to play video - at which point the stream cuts out.  A couple of vendors have bold me that it's because the FIOS app applies DRM to the stream.  

0 Likes
CDOsr
Enthusiast - Level 3

mfidelman, you may very well have seen replies from Verizon Staff on these boards.  It is quite common for companies that provide forums to have "Admins" to monitor the messages, provide help in directing the poster to the proper support channels and otherwise enforce the rules of decorum for the forum.

However, these people are not the entire support staff who, I would guess, do not use these forums at all.  An Admin or Moderator may be the conduit to the actual support center(s) when appropriate but they are not really here to *be* the support desk.  This happens to be the case in several forums I use and people often do confuse the fact that the company hosts a "support forum" that it is, in fact, a place to get support. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I use Samsung mirroring all the time from my phone to my TV with the FIOS app.

Works just fine.

It is not an extra app but capability built in to my phone and TV.

And only works between my phone and a Samsung TV.

teostromFIOS

Who the %@# cares what we call these devices... PC, mobile device...!!!!

If I can watch it on my tablet, I should be able to watch it on my $@#W#$# PC laptop. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Its possible that contacts may not allow that to happen.

App does not allow you to play from mobile devices to tvs for example.