Re: Poor Picture Quality on Quantum TV
jdemo721
Enthusiast - Level 2

My understanding is the main difference is that the quantum boxes act as client-server. The main Box is the video server that record up to 6 shows at one time (12 if you have 2)and all the other smaller boxes act as the client that basically connect to the server box to access all the recordings and basically all of Fios. Without the video serve nothing will work. The legacy boxes work pretty much independent of each other but you can only record 2 shows at one time on them. You can do multipoint watching with them however.

0 Likes
ovived
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wait, seriously? The most I would record is 2 shows at once.. at MOST. so you're telling me I can request legacy boxes and get the better picture quality? I'd love to do that... because on HBO I see some bad blurry blacks and ghosting when watching Sucession I notice it everytime i watch it, it's annoying now. ESP on stuff I record with the DVR and watch later..Im a new fios customer so I expected way better video quality (as advertised)...

Can you confirm the older boxes fix the problem?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Some people have reported legacy boxes give better PQ.

I haven't seen it myself (I don't se any issues with PQ).

I have 4 HD tvs (none 4K however).

Keep in mind that legacy boxes don't have Netflix capability, remote DVR viewing or Alexa integration.

I understand that all this without good PQ doesn't matter.

I assume you have tried tweaking options between STB and TV to improve quality?

jdemo721
Enthusiast - Level 2

@ovived wrote:

Wait, seriously? The most I would record is 2 shows at once.. at MOST. so you're telling me I can request legacy boxes and get the better picture quality? I'd love to do that... because on HBO I see some bad blurry blacks and ghosting when watching Sucession I notice it everytime i watch it, it's annoying now. ESP on stuff I record with the DVR and watch later..Im a new fios customer so I expected way better video quality (as advertised)...

Can you confirm the older boxes fix the problem?

I have not tried the Legacy boxes myself i am only going by what others have said on these forums and other places on the internet. They have said that going back to legacy boxes have solved their issues specificaly with the picture quality pertaining to the "ghosting" and "black smearing". And as    pointed out, i did leave out a few other features that would be lost if you went back to legacy but i was just listing the features pertaining to viewing and utitlizing tv in the location not all the extras like remote viewing and alexa, etc..

0 Likes
splff30001
Enthusiast - Level 2

Came here specifically to see if anyone else was having this problem. Looks like I'm not the only one. Has anyone found a solution other than going back to legacy boxes? If not, I might as well just cancel HBO because right now it's unwatchable. Watched deepwater horizon and literally couldn't see anything that happened in the beginning of the movie. Same thing happened at the end of the new show Sharp Objects. I go to HBO Go on the ps4 and everything clears up. I see that they're underwater at the beginning of deepwater horizon and see that the girl in sharp objects is covered in scars as she gets in the tub. None of which I saw when watching on the STB. If I have to go to my ps4 to watch hbo, I might as well just cancel my Verizon HBO and order the HBO Now service. I'd rather not give Verizon money for subpar service. 

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@splff3000 wrote:

Came here specifically to see if anyone else was having this problem. Looks like I'm not the only one. Has anyone found a solution other than going back to legacy boxes? ...

As mentioned some see the same or better quaility with the Quantum boxes.  I do and have connected my VMS to a LG OLED 4k model.

Sometimes Verizon service people have been able to correct problems that are being caused by other things, e.g.  Bad ONT, old wiring, etc.  But you might be charged for such a service call.

cseaman1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same issue with poor quality, which I never experienced before on FIOS when I was recording on Windows Media Center with a CableCard.

I believe the issue is simply with overcompression of the video signal (at the broadcast source or by recompressing on the DVR, I'm not sure).  Running a fiber network removes most bandwidth issues, but to maximize DVR storage, my guess is that they overcompress some or all channels...maybe they reserve higher quality for premium channels like Sirius/XM does, I'm not sure.  But for most programming there's significant ghosting and banding/posterizing that is more obvious in darker areas of the picture...it's completely unacceptable and I don't know how they get away with it.

DVRs have been around for almost 20 years, and from the beginning they've given users the ability to choose between capacity and quality...Verizon, it's bad enough that you don't even have 4K delivery on the near horizon, the least you can do is let your customers choose their compression level!

0 Likes
jdemo721
Enthusiast - Level 2

@cseaman wrote:

I have the same issue with poor quality, which I never experienced before on FIOS when I was recording on Windows Media Center with a CableCard.

I believe the issue is simply with overcompression of the video signal (at the broadcast source or by recompressing on the DVR, I'm not sure).  Running a fiber network removes most bandwidth issues, but to maximize DVR storage, my guess is that they overcompress some or all channels...maybe they reserve higher quality for premium channels like Sirius/XM does, I'm not sure.  But for most programming there's significant ghosting and banding/posterizing that is more obvious in darker areas of the picture...it's completely unacceptable and I don't know how they get away with it.

DVRs have been around for almost 20 years, and from the beginning they've given users the ability to choose between capacity and quality...Verizon, it's bad enough that you don't even have 4K delivery on the near horizon, the least you can do is let your customers choose their compression level!

what your saying makes a lot of sense because what i noticed it does not happen an all channels but most channels. Specifically HBO, Starz, CBS. Watching Game of Thornes is almost unwatchable at times with how black they are.

0 Likes
ovived
Enthusiast - Level 1

this is soooo bad.. HBO movies are unwatchable..

I truly dont understand why im paying for this

0 Likes
BobbyD23

While I still had the old Verizon Motorola STB, I upgraded from an older HD tv to a 55" Sony 4K UHD, and the picture quality on the 4K was great.  I recently added a 65" Sony 4k UHD in the basement, and switched from the old Motorola box to the new Quantum services with the Arris VMS1100 main box upstairs and the Arris IPC1100 client server box in the basement.  It was a new installation in the basement so the coax from the ONT to the IPC1100 is brand new.  The picture quality on both tvs is so bad at times, I can hardly believe it is HD.  Baseball games look like SD, HBO is blurry, even static images with straight lines don't look clean. I have checked all of the box output settings, MoCa speeds, etc. and I'm confident that it is not a problem with the settings.  I can stream Netflix to the both TVs via WiFi, and the PQ is perfect.  This is definitely a Verizon issue.

I have an old BPON ONT, and I have called Verizon to replace it with the GPON, but after reading the comments on this thread and others I am not optomistic that this will solve the problem.  If the picture quality does not improve, I'm going to downgrade to the old STBs.  I'd much rather have 2 feeds of high quality HD (4 in total with two Motorola boxes) than 6 feeds of garbage.

0 Likes