Re: Poor Picture Quality on Quantum TV
jdemo721
Enthusiast - Level 2

BoobyD23,

let me know how it turns out if you go back to the legacy route. As i said before, the only reason I am hesitant was because losing the VMS features like recording 6 shows at once and if i am not mistaked the watching FIOS TV app is not compatible with the old legacy boxes. But I might be heading in that direction. Because I am one of the people that literally have had everything in my house changed. (splitters, coaxial cables, ONT-BPON to GPON, VMS boxes and client boxes. Even my connection from the pole to the corner. The only thing that has not been changed is the actual fiber cable coming into my house from the pole in the street but i cant imagine that has anything to do with it because if it did im sure i would see other issues.

0 Likes
ovived
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm calling to have them swap out my ONT and check the signals.. if it makes no change i'm going legacy box. I dont use 6 dvr feed anyway, I do like the alexa integration though, it's pretty covenient esp when i dont know the channels (just siwtched from spectrum)

I went home to a friends house in Long Island this past weeeknd and they had optimum, they were watching HBO and it looked so crisp.. I asked if it was HBO go because it looked like such a good bitrate. It wasn't.. it was the cable feed. My FiOS HBO looks so so so bad compared to the HBO GO on my xbox...

Insult to injury I went to return my spectrum boxes today and saw they now offer 1gbps in my area.... Now im in a contract with FiOS subpar service. what a shame

0 Likes
jon07712

After reading this thread I swapped out my Arris box for the legacy Magnavox STB and noticed an immediate improvement in video quality on my Samsung 8500 series 4K tv. I don't use the DVR so losing the Quantum box didn't bother me (though I miss the clock). It may be weird and unacceptable to have to jump through hoops to get a previous version of the STB in order to have better video quality, but it works. Hope Fios will get their act together and come up with a 4K box that works for the Samsung TVs soon, but in the meantime this is an ok solution. Thanks all for the troubleshooting.

@jdemo721 wrote:

Ok so lately i have noticed that I have poor picture quality when watching anything. It is really noticeable with backgrounds that are dark. I notice smearing or black articats and it looks fuzzy around certain parts. Its not my tv because if i watch any other source on my tv everything is crystal clear. Has anyone come across this issue before? And before i go through all my troubleshooting steps that i have done, let me start by saying i am a former verizon employee and currently a systems engineer so troubleshooting is what i do.

So far i have tried all these troubleshooting steps with no success.

tried all the Verizon troubleshooting fix tv fixes on the receiver

Unplugged power and all cables to VMS receiver.

Reseated all cables confirmed the connections were tight.

Factory reset VMS receiver.

changed all the splitters in my house and tightened all connections. (used brand new splitters provided by verizon tech)

checked my connections on the ONT.

moved my client box to my tv but still the same. Have the same issue on all tvs and all receives vms or client.

i think that the issue is either my VMS or my ONT. I am leaning towards its being the ONT and after speaking with with some of my Verizon Fios tech friends I am thinking it is the ONT because i have the older B-ONT i think its called and not the newer G-ONT.

What are my options? Can i get Verizon out to replace my ONT? I am really getting frustrated and will think about switching to anoter service or cancelling my TV service altogether soon.

Thanks

0 Likes
jdemo721
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Jon for keeping us updated and confirming that going back to legacy works. I am about to do the same.

0 Likes
BobbyD23

I had Verizon upgrade my ONT to the newest G-PON equipment.  There seemed to be a small improvement to the TV that is connected to the media server, but the tv connected to the client box still has a horrible picture.  The issue has to be the IPC1100 box.  When I watch the exact same recording on both tvs (the DVR storage is on the media server), the tv connected to the IPC1100 has significantly worse picture quality than the tv connected to the media server box.  I am going to downgrade to the Motorola STBs.  Will let you all know how it works out.

0 Likes
jdemo721
Enthusiast - Level 2

So for everyone who is switching back from the VMS boxes and say they are Motorola stbs what is the difference between the Motorola and these Cisco CHS 335HDC boxes? 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

To be sure, try swapping the IPC and VMS.

Make sure it is not an issue with TV or incompatibilty with settings.

Re: Poor Picture Quality on Sony 940e and oled
Db19651

Just switched to Fios yesterday from xfinity.   Poor picture quality on all channels on Sony 940e and lg oled.  Fios tech support said problem with hardware set top box and 4K TVs. No eta on fix.   Going back to x1 tomorrow will suffer through some pixelation.   At least I will have better channel selection,  better menu guides, better remote with voice and will control sound bars.  May keep Fios internet. 

0 Likes

Received Quantum boxes two weeks ago and immedately noticed poor picture quality. 

This was evident on HD channels that normaly produced very good picture using DirectTV. Did all the Verizon troubleshooting steps and couldn't fix the issue.

Finally followed others on the thread and swapped out the Quantum Arris for the older MOTOROLLA boxes, picture quality significantly improved. With that said, I lost the extra recording features of the Quantum but I'd rather choose picture quality. Verizon needs to get this resolved.

0 Likes
jdemo721
Enthusiast - Level 2

for those of you who switched to the legacy Motorola receivers, could you tell me what model they are if they say on it?

Also, what other features do you lose by not being on quantum? I assume you cant schedule dvr from the app and you cant watch recordings anymore on the app either?

Also, do you have any of the builtin apps like netflix on the motorola legacy boxes?

0 Likes