Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get gifts fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same-day delivery.

Poor image quality (pixelation, macroblocking) in Northern VA on some channels (frustrated)

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Poor image quality (pixelation, macroblocking) in Northern VA on some channels (frustrated)

Message 11 of 15
(1,684 Views)
Our Fox 5 feed is so bad sometimes, I had to call Fox last week to see what the problem was as the football games are terrible.

They said it was not their side...but likely that they have to provide the feed to Verizon and it's likely with Verizon.

Either way, The whole Fios thing isn't what it's cracked up to my IMO. I was expecting STELLAR picture quality across all channels...but it's ok to good at best.
Highlighted
Silver Contributor IV Silver Contributor IV
Silver Contributor IV

Re: Poor image quality (pixelation, macroblocking) in Northern VA on some channels (frustrated)

Message 12 of 15
(1,680 Views)

I had the same issue back in September (and I am also in Northern VA, but I believe that's a coincidence). The lower channels like 4 and 5 were unwatchable and it was working its way toward the higher number channels. We hadn't noticed that the lower channels were out because the HD channels (504, 505) seemed fine until they started having issues, too. I used the Verizon In-Home Agent, which after deciding there wasn't an easy fix (rebooting the ONT, STB, router etc), took me right to the on-line trouble ticking service. I had a new ONT two days later. The tech arrived, checked the signal and found the ONT to be bad. I got one of the refurbished units myself.

[Be nice! We are mostly fellow Verizon customers.
My setup: 75/75 Mbps; Linux router (2x 1Gbps ports) + iptables; Netgear Orbi x 2
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 13 of 15
(1,675 Views)

You must have box set to native.

I dont believe any content provider does anything higher than 1080i.

I have ready some people recommend that you have stb run  native and let the TV up scale as the TV has better processors.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 14 of 15
(1,451 Views)

I can say replacing the ONT did resolve my issues with pixelation on channels. I tried different splitters and/or power splitters. VZ tech came out and said that both my ONT and power supply/with battery. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 15 of 15
(1,324 Views)

I've just started having this problem ... coincident with the new on demand UI... The only channels that pixelate are on demand ... trying to watch anything. I have 5 TVs with 4 STBs. I've had Fios (this time around) for 4 years and have never had a problem until now. Callesd tech support and got the "usual" simplistic set of solutions. I've checked every connection, installed new (low loss, 2.4GHz) spitters, reset all STB, reset wireless router, reset main panel. I don't have Quantum boxes, but since OD was working fine two weeks ago, I don't believe this is a problem within my house. Live TV is fine as well as watching from DVR. I even connected only one TV to the same splitter that feeds the wireless router (-3.5dB loss) so it and the router were the only two devices connected ... didn't correct the problem. Not sure where to turn at this point, but this problem makes any OD show non-watchable. 

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.