Poor picture quality on the SD channels
EFFeX
Enthusiast - Level 3
Hello, I have recently converted to Verizon and one thing that stands out to me is the terrible picture quality I am getting on SD channels. I am getting serious pixelation on all SD channels. As soon as I switch to the HD version, it's crystal clear. Now, I know the obvious answer would be "just watch HD". However, there are some channels that just aren't available in HD with my plan. The interesting thing is that this only occurs on my HD STB. In my bedroom, I have a standard TV (not widescreen, HD) and a standard STB. On the bedroom TV these SD channels look great. Is this a problem with trying to view SD on HD STB's? Has anyone ever heard of this? This did not happen with my old provider, everything looked great prior to the switch, so I know it's not just the channels. BTW: I tried the SD Override options for 480i, 480p, stretch. Nothing really makes a difference. Any input into this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
0 Likes
Re: Poor picture quality on the SD channels
BrianC
Contributor - Level 3

I can only tell you that this is not normal.  I don't get pixelation on my SD channels from my HD box.

0 Likes
EFFeX
Enthusiast - Level 3
^ ^ Thanks for the input, it didn't seem to make any sense to me either. I guess I'll have to reach out directly to Verizon's tech support for this? I was hoping someone had some basic stuff I could try.
0 Likes
bobboots

I have the same problem on FIOS in Franklin MA.  Please let me know what the resolution of your issue was.

Thanks.

0 Likes
EFFeX
Enthusiast - Level 3

I haven't had time to call customer support regarding this, but it definitely hasn't gotten any better. It's just so weird, I understand that this service is different than cable, but it doesn't add up to why cable was clearer. Odd...

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

try different cables,  ie if you are using coax then try rca cables,  if you can do S Cable, that is optimal

0 Likes
bobboots
I am connecting using HDMI and it works well on HD channels, so it is clearly a verizon issue with the whole house DVR. I have not noticed the problem with the cheapo digital boxes or with the HD non- DVR box.

FYI....choose HDMI or a quality RGB cable for best quality. Coax and composite ( S-video) are lower resolution outputs.
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

ya, very sorry about that.   Missed the part where you were using an HD box.    

0 Likes