Poor picture quality with Quantum TV
knightly

I just upgraded my service to Quantum TV (one VMS and 2 clients) with a new Fios Quantum Gateway router and the picture quality on all 3 TV sets is now worse on HD stations--as if the picture is at a lower level of resolution, less detailed, less sharp.  A tech came to my house and was perplexed saying he never heard of such a problem and essentially said tough luck.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Poor picture quality with Quantum TV
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you provide more details?

How is TV connected to box? Component? HDMI?

Have you tried swapping type of connection on one TV to see if it makes a difference?

What is box set to for output?

0 Likes
knightly

TV is connected via HDMI cable, of very good quality, on all 3 TVs.  I have tried the various diagnostics on Inhomeagent and spent over an hour on the phone with tech support which tried various fixes including switching from 1080p to 1080i, which made no difference. I've tried disconnecting the router and all devices and then reconnecting them. The tech who came to my house checked the RF level at each TV and the signal strength at the outside FIOS box.  All were in the acceptable range and yet the quality of picture is definitely worse than it was with the legacy boxes and other router.

I don't know if this problem might be solved with new splitters or a new VMS box.  Fios tech support seems to be completely at a loss.

0 Likes
knightly

Last night an excellent Verizon tech came out to my house and solved the problem by: installing a Moca splitter--which should have been done by the first tech--and replacing the ONT and replacing a bad connection to the ONT. What's distressing is that not all tech's are properly trained and neither are their supervisors.

0 Likes
M_Z1

Hi All,

I've just upgraded to Quantum Internet and TV and experience absolutely the same problem. Finally gave up chatting and speaking with Verizon tech support and searched for a possible solution online. Found this topic.

Knighty, can you please provide more details regarding the fix that finally helped you, so I know what to request from Verizon? Was the problem with the old splitter / ONT or both?

Did they replace the ONT box with a different model, or the same model but the newer one? What kind of splitter they installed? 2  way or 4 way?

Any help would be really appreciated, as they added a couple of tens of dollars to my bill, but in return I got worse picture quality.

Thank you in advance,

M_Z

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

How is stb connected to TV?

And what is wrong with picture?

As system is digital, ont or splitter would cause pixelation or channel not working.

0 Likes
M_Z1

It is connected through the HDMI cable supplied by Verizon. And, to remove any doubt, it is absolutely the same connection as it was the day before yesterday - before "upgrade" to Quantum - when HD picture was crystal clear and sharp. Now, after the upgrade, there is almost no difference (rather than height to width ratio) between SD and HD channels.

My understanding from the previous posts in this topic was that people experienced the same problem: "...worse on HD stations--as if the picture is at a lower level of resolution, less detailed, less sharp...". That's exactly what I see. And it looks like replacing ONT helped in their case. So, I just wanted to ask whether the ONT was replaced with a newer model (which may mean that the older model was not capable of handling Quantum trafic). And more generally, is there any data regarding ONT boxes capabilites in terms of Quantum TV/ Internet?

Thank you for your help.

0 Likes
M_Z1

Forgot to note: my ONT is 7 years old (it was installed in 2009).

0 Likes
Significant deterioration in HD picture quality after upgrading to Quantum
M_Z1

What happened

We've just upgraded Verizon FiOS to Quantum 50/50 Internet and Quantum TV. As soon as the equipment was installed and new services were activated - it appeared that picture quality on HD channels is not even close to what it used to be with the "plain" (not Quantum) FiOS.

Symptoms

There is almost no difference now in SD vs HD channels, rather than frame size and height to width ratio. HD channels look just a little bit better than SD. The difference is most obvious when watching sport channels: small moving objects - such as soccer players - look as "fuzzy" as in SD; when a camera moves fast from one end of a hockey ring (which is a big white space) to another - it looks like there is some kind of slightly "dirty" tail or cloud moving along with the camera.

Setup / connection

First of all, it is absolutely the same as before the upgrade (and again, it was just fine a couple of days ago, before activating Quantum services). I have my only STB connected to the TV through an HDMI cable, supplied by Verizon. A splitter is installed just after the ONT box. I replaced the splitter with the new one provided by Verizon - no difference. Tried to switch back to the old (not Quantum) STB - picture quality is as bad as with the new STB. So, it looks like the problem is either on Verizon's end, or with the ONT (not with the STB itself).

What to do?

Spent a couple of hours chatting and speaking with Verizon tech support. As you can imagine - no luck. We checked all settings (such as video format, sharpness, etc.) a dozen of times. Everything is just fine. They said they checked the signal strength - it looks good to them. I tried to find a solution online and found this topic; it looks like I'm not the first one experiencing this problem and in the case, described in this topic, they had to replace ONT to get rid of the problem, My ONT is 7 years old. Should they upgrade it along with switch to Quantum? Are there any other ideas?

Thank you in advance.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

My ONT is 7+ years old.

I don't see any issue with picture quality.

0 Likes