Switch Account

Popping noise

Contributor sally
Contributor
Message 1 of 8
(6,335 Views)
Since we got FIOS installed, our brand new HDTV makes a popping noise intermittently.  We called tech support and they sent us a new box. It happens less often, but still enough to bother us.  We've checked all the connections.  Is it the box, the TV, interference from something?
7 REPLIES 7
Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III
Message 2 of 8
(6,333 Views)
What reciever are you using and how do you have it hooked up?  Hdmi, component, optical?  Is the output of the reciever going thru a vcr or anything?  Is it wired into your home audio system?
Employee Emeritus Employee Emeritus
Employee Emeritus
Message 3 of 8
(6,306 Views)
Does it specifically happen when switching from a HD channel to a SD channel and vice versa?

Brennoko
Verizon Telecom
Fiber Solutions Center

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supercede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

Contributor sally
Contributor
Message 4 of 8
(6,263 Views)
We are using the DVR box Verizon sent us and nothing us. Its hooked up with an HDMI cable. It doesn't go through a VCR or anything else.  Thanks for any help you can give us.
Contributor sally
Contributor
Message 5 of 8
(6,262 Views)
No -- It doesn't seem to be related to switching channels at all. We can be watching the same channel for a couple of hours and it will happen several times in that time period.  
Contributor Ytsejam
Contributor
Message 6 of 8
(6,220 Views)
I can't help you, but I have had the same issue for months and it has been driving me crazy as well. It is very intermittent, maybe for a couple hours off and on it will make a loud pop once in a while and then it's fine for a few weeks. The popping is loud enough that my dogs will bark at it. I have had the TV geeks look at it and couldn't find anything wrong. Hope someone else has maybe got an answer. My TV is a 46" Samsung DLP if that matters to anyone.   
Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III
Message 7 of 8
(6,210 Views)

Sally, do you have a Samsung tv too?

One workaround i've read about is to hook up your Television using Component cables.  There doesn't seem to be any issues with them.  Only Hdmi...

Just so I don't hear "Why doesn't Verizon fix their set top boxes?"  Samsung has been having hdmi issues with a variety of manufacturers.  I"m sure they will work it out.

Contributor sally
Contributor
Message 8 of 8
(6,182 Views)

YES - we do have a Samsung.  I'll try to component cables instead of the HDMI and let you know if it works. Thanks for the idea.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.