Post 1.6.2 Report
kschles
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm pretty new to FIOS, but like a lot of folks I was experiencing buggy behaior from my two HD STBs, and was anxiously awaiting the update.  Now that I've lived with it for awhile, it seems that some things have been fixed (unavailable channels, DVR playback freezes and pixelation).  However, I still have the following problems:

1) My 7100 STB remote takes awhile to work when I first turn on the TV and box (about 60 seconds).  Was hoping this would be fixed, but it's a minor thing and I can live with it.

2) Recorded shows on my 7216 HD DVR are now experiencing a problem I never had before - periodic outages (black screen and no audio) which last for a couple of seonds.  I'd say during a 2 hour movie, it might happen about 8-10 times, and not at regular intervals.  This is pretty disappointing as you might imagine.  It didn't happen before the update, so I doubt if it's the box.  Anyone else experiencing this?  Any tech guys have thoughts about the problem and a possible fix?

Thank

0 Likes
Re: Post 1.6.2 Report
ToddR

Further observations:

It seems there is a regression in the ability to pause live TV on the 6416-2, too.  Prior to the 1.6.2 [1.6.0 only] version, I could pause live TV on one station, change the channel (via guide, manually entering the channel, or the Previous Channel button), watch that show for a while, pause this second show, then go back to the first show and pick up where I had paused it.  Now that doesn't work.  The first channel will only stay paused if the second channel is not paused... defeating the purpose of being able to switch back and forth.  How was this not caught in a regression test?

What I'd also like to see is the ability to pause live TV, watch a recorded show, stop watching the recorded show and return to where I left the live TV paused, too.

[sarcasm]Guessing I'm asking for too much since DirecTiVo had this since at least 2002[/sarcasm].

0 Likes
kschles
Enthusiast - Level 3
Some further observations on my end.  The periodic blackouts are happening during live broadcasts too, not just taped shows.  I've also found that by using the 10 second "jump back" button, you can view what you've missed.  I'm too tired to deal with it anymore this evening, but tomorrow I'll try re-booting the STB and see if that helps.  All-in-all its disappointing that the box seems to still have bugs in it.  Maybe the 1.7 update will help???????
0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@kschles wrote:
Some further observations on my end.  The periodic blackouts are happening during live broadcasts too, not just taped shows.  I've also found that by using the 10 second "jump back" button, you can view what you've missed.  I'm too tired to deal with it anymore this evening, but tomorrow I'll try re-booting the STB and see if that helps.  All-in-all its disappointing that the box seems to still have bugs in it.  Maybe the 1.7 update will help???????

Are you using an HDMI connection to your TV from the STB?  This sounds like an HDMI handshake problem that periodically breaks and then resumes when the handshake is successful again. 

Message Edited by PJL on 04-06-2009 03:13 PM
0 Likes
kschles
Enthusiast - Level 3
I am using an HDMI connection.  Had the FIOS service for about three weeks before the 1.6.2 update, and didn't have this problem.  Only developed after the update (and only on my 7216, not my 7100).  I've rebooted the STB and been fine for a couple of days now (hope this doesn't jinx it).
0 Likes
ToddR

Since I've posted, the problems have magically fixed themselves.  Guess the FiOS gnomes were hard at work.  In fact, the pausing between live shows is much better since I don't see the live frame (only displays the frame at where I paused) when I switch back to a channel.  I did notice the audio hiccup mentioned in this thread, but only once and not since them.

Overall the wife and I are happy, but this DVR still has some catching up to do.

0 Likes