Power Outage/DVR Question
Jimmmm1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, there's no power in my home, so I'm staying elsewhere. My idea is to monitor my FIOS DVR info page, figuring that when my power comes back on, I'll know it because I'll start seeing my DVR data there. 

Is that correct? I've read older reports of DVRs not coming online after power outages (you've got to turn on the box to reboot the system). Not sure if that's always the case.

0 Likes
Re: Power Outage/DVR Question
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The box will most likely come on, however the remote services (the part which let's you see what's on your DVR) frequently gets putz'd up after a power outage -- so it's not a good indicator.   I have VoIP phone service (PhonePower, but other providers such as Vonage work the same way) that fails over to my cell phone with the terminal adapter at my home loses power or can't reach the internet.    I simply call my home number periodically -- and wait until it stops forwarding to my cell phone to determine that the power came back on.   I've also heard of others who use an old-school answering machine set to pickup immediately (or a fax machine) and then just call their home phone number -- as soon as the power comes back on, the answering machine/fax will answer.

0 Likes
Re: Power Outage/DVR Question
Jimmmm1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. Unfortunately, I have no landline, nor FIOS VoIP. So....I guess this is an imperfect test 🙂

Compounding it is the fact that power may restore before FIOS does, if the FIOS line needs repair.

0 Likes