Power on delay for AV Receiver (Onkyo TX-NR686) after recent update using Fios One Voice remote
A1cntrler2
Enthusiast - Level 1

For about a couple months my Onkyo receiver powered on as it should, with a press of the power button on the remote. A few weeks ago it began behaving strangely.

I do have a IR repeater as the Onkyo is behind a door, and there's a LED on the IR receiver that illuminates when it receives IR input from a remote. This is how I know that there is now a delay in the IR signal being sent out to power on the Onkyo.

Once I press the power button on the remote, the TV (Vizio) and Fios box turn on. There is a second flash on the IR receiver 5 to 7 seconds after the power button is pressed that turns on the Onkyo. Volume up/down and powering off are still instant.

I've tried resetting the remote through the menu, automatically letting it program itself to my components, manually programming it and i even totally swapped it out with another remote from a different room in my house and pairing it to the Fios box and components. It behaves the same way now with the power on delay on this television.

Again it was not always like this. This behavior started a few weeks ago (maybe around the time the behavior of the "last button changed). For the time being if I'm powering on the system I have to press power and leave the remote on a table pointed in the direction of the TV until it sends the second IR burst to turn on the Onkyo. I've gone through the settings looking to see if there's a setting to put in a delay and haven't found one, and Google searches only seem to bring up an audio latency issue with certain sound bars.

On a side note, on a different TV with an external sound bar (Sony) there is no delay for powering on.  I'm not sure if somewhere there's a setting to delay the signal being sent to power on the Onkyo.  If there is I can't find it in a menu.

0 Likes
Re: Power on delay for AV Receiver (Onkyo TX-NR686) after recent update using Fios One Voice remote
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could be a CEC issue between the Onkyo, Vizio and the fios box. Try using CEC to turn on the Onkyo via the TV. Un -program the receiver from the remote and see if powering on the TV and Fios box turns on the receiver through CEC instead of an infrared shot from the remote. Or un-program the TV and use CEC to turn on the TV via the receiver.

0 Likes
Re: Power on delay for AV Receiver (Onkyo TX-NR686) after recent update using Fios One Voice remote
A1cntrler2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had to disable CEC the day of install as the TV would not remain off while connected to the FiOS box.  I guess it never really shuts off so the TV sees it as being on.  Otherwise I would have gladly used CEC like I was before FiOS installation.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you disable video input control in the video options in the menu? Might help.

0 Likes