Pre-installation jitters in an NYC apartment...
Mollygizer

I've been waiting 2 years for FIOS to come to my neighborhood here in Queens. I saw them laying wire nearby a few months ago, and lo and behold, this month I happened to check, and I was eligible! I'm psyched. I have an installation scheduled for Friday. But one thing tripped me up.

In the prerecorded confirmation message I received today, it said to have a 3 prong outlet, space, and adult, landlord permission, all of which I had. But then it said I needed basement access. I live on the second/ top floor of a 3 unit apartment building. My landlord occupies the entire ground floor and basement. I can technically go down in order to reset my fuses if they blow, but that's part of her house. I don't get why they would need access. My current cable jack is literally a wire from the power lines out front to the wall of my apartment, through a drilled hole, and it comes out as a little wire sticking out by my bed. From there I use a splitter and run one coax into my living room about 20 feet away to my TV, then one coax to my internet about 6 feet away. I presumed they would mount the little white box to the brick wall outside, then run the wire in where the current wire is... but now I'm nervous. Any thoughts?

0 Likes
Re: Pre-installation jitters in an NYC apartment...
Shoff5151
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am also wondering the same thing, i live in apartment in NYC where i am somewhat not allowed to enter the basement. Based on what i noticed on alot of various online searches, verizon might need to go the basement to access your building telephone wiring (nid). Depending on your buiilding size, they might install the ONT in your apartment and not on the side or the building or in the basement

For my install, i just left a note for my landlord that says that verizon is stopping by on saturday and that might be in the basement or/and backyard as a courtesy. You should do the same, but i think overall you should be fine verizon does have the landlord premissions and usally utilities companys can not be denied access

0 Likes