Re: Shortage of eSata external drive
fusioneer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a 2TB Fantom Green Drive eSATA attached to a 7216.  It records and plays just fine - but there is a problem I'm trying to sort out and any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If the DVR is powered off, you can play recording from any other set top box and everything is as it should be.

If you record anything - doesn't matter if you leave the DVR powered on or off - the access light on the drive never goies back to a rest state after the recording is completed.  The only way to get the drive to stop showing activity is to eject it.

Even more puzzling, changing channels will make the drive light go active as well even when no playback or recordin is in progress.

The drive still works properly once it has gone into "flutter state" but that can't be normal.  If anyone has an "approved" WD external drive attached, I'd love to know if you have a similar issue.

In the mean time, I'm doing some experimenting and I'll let you know what I find.

0 Likes
Re: Shortage of eSata external drive
Rocky18
Enthusiast - Level 3

CDW is supposed to have them in this Tuesday the 24th (WDBABT0010HBK 1t) With a second delivery on Feb. 1st. They have numerous on back order so first come first serve. A little more expensive than the lowest price I've seen but at least they are getting them in.  GOOD Luck

0 Likes
Re: Problem installing eSata external drive
c_ann1

Where does someone purchase the correct Western Digital?

0 Likes
Re: Problem installing eSata external drive
daninhb

Thought i would throw my $.02 in.  I wanted to go with a 2TB setup.  Here's what I chose:

Hard drive: SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI ($160)
Enclosure: Rosewill RX-358 V2 ($30)

Both from newegg.com, shipped quickly. 

I'm not a tech guy so I was a little wary of installing the HD.  It was shockingly easy.  The HD just slides into the enclosure, you screw the enclosure together (hint: the small screws go on the end of the case), and then you plug it in and follow the instructions on the DVR (7232 in my case). The DVR recognized the drive immediately.

The external drive has been running for three days now.  It was a little noisy the first night (I could hear it clicking away) but by the next morning it quieted down and now I can't hear it at all. 

Right now I have 25 hours of HD on the external drive (plus 14 hours of SD) and I'm only at 10% capacity.  So much better than my wife and I competing for hard drive space.

0 Likes