Problem playing music with Media Manager
notbob
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just installed media manager and when I tried it out it worked fine with pictures but not at all with music.  I can see the files but when I try to play them I get an error message that says the file has been moved, deleted or is corrupt.  This happens with all of my files even the sample ones that came with the media manager software.  Anybody have this problem and know what the fix is?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Problem playing music with Media Manager
notbob
Enthusiast - Level 2

Great! I hope this helps other people as well. Sorry about the confusion with the letter. For other people, you should be able to just copy the command straight from my post and paste it into the run dialog box accessed from your start menu.

View solution in original post

mcorbo
Contributor - Level 2

I have the exact same problem.  Have never been able to play music, but the pictures work fine.

0 Likes
notbob
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am able to play music (and view pictures) with media manager installed on another computer so there is something wrong on the first pc. One other symptom I just noticed was that the add media dialog box is not working properly (previously I used drag and drop to add files to media manager). The OK and cancel buttons aren't clickable and when I scroll the directory tree the OK and cancel buttons scroll to. Also the dialog box is truncated so that I can't even see the show media folders and advanced buttons. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling media manager just to make sure it wasn't a botched install and I still get the same problems.

I have looked on the verizon website for technical support and the only thing I can find is the phone support number. I called them and all they want to do is reset the DVR. Is there real technical support available for media manager or am I just out of luck?

{edited at request of poster}
Message Edited by CharlotteS on 10-22-2008 03:12 PM
0 Likes
notbob
Enthusiast - Level 2

Out of curiosity I looked at the audiotranscoder.log file in my Document and Settings/Application Data/Verizon/FIOSMM folder and noticed that it shows an error message when media manager attempted to transcode the mp3 to wav for output to the DVR: Fatal Error !!!, Build Graph Failed....

0 Likes
notbob
Enthusiast - Level 2
After seeing the error listed in the log, I tried playing a wav file because I thought it wouldn't need to be transcoded. Sure enough I can play wav files. So I went ahead and tried a wma file and it plays also. I checked my codecs and I had two Fraunhofer mp3 codecs listed so I removed both of them and then reinstalled WMP 11. Now there is only one Fraunhofer mp3 codec listed but I still can't play mp3 files on the DVR.
0 Likes
70melbatoast
Enthusiast - Level 2
Same issue here. Been that way since install. Pics are fine, music files show up in STB, but will not play. Error message. Hmmm...
0 Likes
70melbatoast
Enthusiast - Level 2
I called tech support about this very issue with my media manager. It was the first time that the guy heard of such a thing. I gave him the issues, told him the errors in the log file and that you had success with wav and wma files. It is now an open ticket on my account, so when I hear something from Verizon I will post.
0 Likes
70melbatoast
Enthusiast - Level 2

POSSIBLE SOLUTION:

Just got a call from tech support. Make sure your MP3's are:

1.  DRM-free, music with copy protection will not work (this is widely known an is a published fact from Verizon)
  2.  Encoded with a bitrate of less than 256 KB/Sec (not posted on Verizon.com)
  3. Not encoded with any type of Variable Bit Rate or VBR. (not posted on Verizon.com)

I will check this out tonight as my collection is all over the map with bitrates ranging from 128 KB/S to VBR to 320 KB/S. I'll report back with findings.

70melbatoast
Enthusiast - Level 2

No dice. Above does not work. Still having issues.

Sample of a NON-WORKING MP3 file from the AudioTranscoder.log (MP3 had no DRM, was 192 KB/S and no VBR):

2008/10/30 22:57:48.980 Wav Attributes Available...

2008/10/30 22:57:53.214 Transcoding Started... Request Id: 7, Total Requests: 23, Input File: INSERT FILE NAME AND PATH.mp3 Output File: C:\Documents and Settings\INSERT LOGIN NAME\Application Data\Verizon\FIOSMM\MMCache\INSERT FILE NAME AND PATH.192.168.1.100.wav

2008/10/30 22:57:53.246 Error in Transcoding: Request Id: 7 Input File:
INSERT FILE NAME AND PATH.mp3 Output File: C:\Documents and Settings\INSERT LOGIN NAME\Application Data\Verizon\FIOSMM\MMCache\INSERT FILE NAME AND PATH.192.168.1.100.wavError Message: Fatal Error !!!, Build Graph Failed....

Sample of a WORKING WMA file from the AudioTranscoder.log file:

2008/10/30 23:12:29.902 Transcoding Started... Request Id: 6, Total Requests: 30, Input File: INSERT FILE NAME AND PATH.wma Output File: C:\Documents and Settings\INSERT LOGIN NAME\Application Data\Verizon\FIOSMM\MMCache\INSERT FILE NAME AND PATH.192.168.1.100.wav

2008/10/30 23:12:29.964 Wav Attributes Available...

2008/10/30 23:12:29.964 GetWaveAttributes:  Request Id: 6, Channels: 2, BitsPerSample: 16, SamplesPerSec: 44100

2008/10/30 23:12:38.261 Transcoder Resource Cleanup...: Request Id: 6 Input File:
INSERT FILE NAME AND PATH.wma Output File: C:\Documents and Settings\INSERT LOGIN NAME\Application Data\Verizon\FIOSMM\MMCache\INSERT FILE NAME AND PATH.192.168.1.100.wav

Its so obvious that its in the conversion of the MP3's to stream to the STB. MM must convert to WAV on the fly and temporarily store them in the MMCache folder.

I guess its back to tech support.  This is so frustrating. MM was a major reason to switch from cable and now it doesn't even work. Ahhhhhh!!!

Anybody have ideas?

Anyone?

0 Likes
notbob
Enthusiast - Level 2
I used graphedit to check both of the computers that I had used media manager on. The computer that was able to transcode the mp3s was using the Fraunhofer codec, but the one that did not work was using the acm wrapper.  There are 3 files in the system32 folder of windows that are related to the Fraunhofer codec: l3codeca.acm, l3codecp.acm and l3codecx.ax. I checked the registry and found mentions of the first two but no mention of the third. So I reregistered the third one by running this command: regsvr32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\l3codecx.ax That worked for me and now I can play mp3s on the DVR.