Problem with WD DVR expander
davek102
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ordered and installed a 1TB WD DVR expander (WDBACS0010HBK-NEVZ) and my Motorola 7216 will not recognize it.   WD customer support told me that there is a problem with these devices that is not yet resolved.  This has been was identified in an internal memo, and the rep told me that he thought they should not be selling these until the problem is fixed, butt somehow Verizon is still providing a link to the WD site that is selling these drives.   Suggest not buying one until WD and/or Verizon indicates that the problem is resolved.  

0 Likes
Re: Problem with WD DVR expander
tns
Master - Level 2

Are you on IMG 1.9 or 1.9a?

Although not originally mentioned it is a requirement.  The site now mentions it, or though way down.

0 Likes
davek102
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am on 1.09.  How can I upgrade?

0 Likes
mcorbo
Contributor - Level 2

Unfortunately, you can not request an upgrade.  Upgrades are rolled out by Verizon on a regional basis.  I am not aware of any set published scheduled. 

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@davek102 wrote:

I am on 1.09.  How can I upgrade?

Are you sure it's 1.09?  That's not a build AFAIK. 

0 Likes
Contributor - Level 1

OP - Go to Menu - Settings - System Information and locate the build version.

If you see 1.9, 10.90 or 10.95; then go to Menu - DVR - Enable More Storage and let it provision your box with eSATA, and then check if the drive functions.

If you see 1.8 or 02.54 then you have an older version of IMG which will be upgraded soon to IMG 1.9, which is required to support eSATA.

If WD has an internal memo about Verizon eSATA support and an "issue", it must be about IMG 1.9 is in deployment - and that WD has no way to know if your box has 1.8 or 1.9 - so they punt you over to VZ to determine that.

davek102
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think you are correct,  I have 1.9, not 1.9a.  My build is 10.95.  I guess the only thing to do is return the drive until I am on a compatible release.  Has anyone else seen this problem?

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Build 10.95 is 1.9A.

Not sure what the problem is.  The drive mentioned is one of Certified ones.

0 Likes
Contributor - Level 1

davek102, as tns said, 10.95 is IMG 1.9a.  If you have already gone to the DVR menu and selected Enable More Storage, and it ran through its sequence and responded positively that eSATA has been enabled, then contact the FSC.  Your box is missing an underlying authorization required before the eSATA authorization will be effective.

FSC should be able to apply that missing auth by deactivating and reactivating your set top.

davek102
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks very much. deactivating and reactivating fixed the problem.  Works fine now!

0 Likes