Problem with coax network
KidHorn
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having intermittent problems with my coaxial network. My DVR frequently loses the guide and I reboot and it comes back for a little while. I have other similar issues like I have 2 DVRs and they used to be able to see each other and now they can't. Otr at least they can only see each other sometimes.

I think the problem may be due to my signal going through an amplifier. I use one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Bi-Directional-Amplifier-Splitter-Booster-Passive/dp/B000WDR94U/ref=sr_1_2?s=e...

It's a 8 channel coaxial amplifier.

It has a pssive return, but I think it may be filtering out everything over 1000 Mhz. When I go to the site on 192.168.1.1 there's a setting for the maximum frequency and it's set to 1150 MHz.

Could my amplifier be causing issues? if so, is there an amplifier I should be using? I'm using an amp because my signal wasn't strong enough since it;s being split multiple times.

0 Likes
Re: Problem with coax network
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

FiOS uses a technology called "MoCA" to exchange data over coax.  A quick description would be to call it Ethernet over coax.  The set-top-boxes use MoCA for guide data, VOD content, multi-room DVR playback,  and various control functions.  The Verizon router is connected to MoCA as well.  The STBs establish IP links over MoCA through the router to Verizon's equipment and to each other.  In short, without a solid MoCA link, the set-top-boxes do not work well.

MoCA operates above 1GHz and is it's signal is designed to jump across splitter outputs.  This allow devices on different legs to communicate with each other.  As such, if your amplifier does not bridge MoCA signals between ports, that would explain what is going on.

Have you tried removing the amplifier?  FiOS ONTs do put out a strong signal and you may not even need it.  You may also be able to ask Verizon to increase the output power.

If you determine you must use an amplifier, it may be better to use a MoCA capable amplifier and then feed an array of passive MoCA capable splitters.  I found this amp on Amazon that looks helpful:

http://www.amazon.com/VM2201V1-Single-Port-MoCA-Amplifier/dp/B00CZFV7HI

I'm sure you can find more products.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Re: Problem with coax network
KidHorn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thaks for the reply. I don't see how the amp you suggested is any different than the one I'm currently using. It's range is 52-1002 forward and 5-42 return.

It seems like I would need something that goes above 1002. I have some splitters that go up to 2.4 GHz. I think I need an amp that does the same.

I'll try using splitters instead of an amp, but the reason I use amps is because the signal was too weak. If the splitters result in too weak a signal, i'll see if Verison can up the voltage.

0 Likes