Problem with sound after DVR update
buffalolt
Enthusiast - Level 1

The new DVR menu update was pushed to my box recently and I've just started noticing problems with my sound when switching from HD programming to those in 480. My sound is being managed with a Sony soundbar and I have all HDMI connections. When I'm watching a HD program, I'm getting 5.1 sound. When it goes to commercial, or if I switch to a non-HD station, I get 2.0 sound. However, when switching back to HD stations, I never get 5.1 sound again. The only way for me to get 5.1 sound back is to reboot the DVR. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the HDMI cables or what, but it seems odd to me that it just started happening after I got the DVR update. Thanks in advance for assistance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Problem with sound after DVR update
buffalolt
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just an update. Spoke with Verizon technical support and it seems that they've resolved the issue. Rather than rebooting the DVR, they "reloaded the box". I didn't lose any scheduled recordings or items that were recorded. Guess I would call them and ask them to reload your box. It's working fine for me so far.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
bhaasie

I have the exact same issue. After 1.9 upgrade, watching 5.1 sound broadcast, change channel or start ondemand and back out to live programing, only get 2 channel sound until i reboot.... Called tech Support and was told it was a problem with my Onkyo 805. i know it is not as I hooked my non-dvr HD to my Onkyo and it was fine.....

We have an  issue that will only be seen with a HT receiver as most who listen through TV speakers will never see...

0 Likes
Apothecon

Same issue here.Have to reboot to fix it at this point

0 Likes
buffalolt
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just an update. Spoke with Verizon technical support and it seems that they've resolved the issue. Rather than rebooting the DVR, they "reloaded the box". I didn't lose any scheduled recordings or items that were recorded. Guess I would call them and ask them to reload your box. It's working fine for me so far.

0 Likes
Hairston1

Having the same issue. Driving me crazy. Denon 3808.

I was able to duplicate the issue 100% of the time by going in and deleting a show from the DVR. As soon any show was deleted from the DVR it would immediately switch the audio from 5.1 to 2.0. The only way to get back 5.1 sound mode  was to hard boot the STB. As a workaround for the issue I only deleted shows from within Fios TV Central and the Android app on my phone.

You say Verizon has a fix for the issue?

EDIT: Like the original poster this only started happening after the update. Worked flawlessly for 2 years before they pushed 1.9.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

that reload may be the same as what they do online at www.verizon.com/repair and clicking on Quick Fix for Set Top Boxes

Otherwise, it sounds like the guy had to call verizon and request they reload the box?

0 Likes