Problems New Installation of FIOS TV
drose224
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently switched from DISH to FIOS TV.  I am thinking I made a big mistake.  I have HD package and several pay packages.  Changing channels can be a nightmare.  Going from a standard def channel to a High Def channel takes at least 5 seconds.

When I turn my TV on I get ten seconds of no signal appearing on my screen until a picture appears.  If I use the guide to find another channel and try to take that channel the tv stays stuck on the previous channel even though it tells me I am on the new channel. 

I go to some channes and I'm told this channel is having problems.  I go up a channel and then back and there is no problem.  Sometimes when I change channels I get a 100% fuzzy screen and have to go up and down a channel or two before I receive a picture.

NEVER had these problems with DISH.  What the heck is going on???

0 Likes
Re: Problems New Installation of FIOS TV
Justin46
Legend

@drose224 wrote:

Changing channels can be a nightmare.  Going from a standard def channel to a High Def channel takes at least 5 seconds.

Based on your statement I am guessing you are using an HDMI connection. If so, this delay is caused by the need for the STB and the TV to resync the HDMI connection every time you switch between an HD channel (720p or 1080i) and an SD channel (480i or 480p) in either direction. You can eliminate this delay by going into the Menu and changing the setting for SD Override to OFF:

Menu ==> Settings ==> Video Settings ==> SD Override ==> Off

Now all channels will be sent to the TV in whatever setting you have for HD, 720p or 1080i (Note: no matter what the specifications are for your TV, I highly recommend you try both the 720p and 1080i settings and see which you prefer, despite the specs every TV is different). One side effect of this may be that the SD channels may look slightly worse, but the delay will be eliminated. I have had mine set this way for years, I gladly give up slightly worse looking SD channels for the quick channel change, and besides I watch the HD channels far more than I do the SD channels.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes