Problems with QIP-7100 and Sharp Aquos TV.
Praveen

Just got FIOS a couple of days ago and I'm having the screen going blank, audio is OK.  This happens with the component connection.   When I switch to the HDMI connection I will see the image for a bit then the entire screen goes green.   The problem is clearly not with the TV because my Blue Ray player does not have the green screen problem (connected by HDMI).   When the tech was installing this box he swapped out two STB's before switching me to component connections.   So the question is, can this be fixed?  if yes, How?

Praveen.

0 Likes
Re: Problems with QIP-7100 and Sharp Aquos TV.
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
It is either an RF signal problem on the coax or the STB itself, either way it sounds like you need to call Fios repair.
0 Likes
vahutch
I have the same problem - just got the Sharp TV today.  The problem appears to be when the TV and STB are connected via HDMI connection (either Input 4 or 5).  I tried connecting them using basic RedWhite/Yellow cables and did not experience any green screens.  However, you do not have as many viewing options (i.e. Zoom, Stretch, etc) with these basic cables.  My next option is to try the Red/Green/Blue cables, but I don't have any of those handy at the moment.
0 Likes
scny

I had the same problem with QIP 7100 and Sharp Aquos lc37d64u when using the HDMI. I was told by the FIOS tech team that the HDMI software on the STB box has some bug which interferes with the signal between the TV so it causes the green screen to appear. Verizon doesn't have any proven workaround to fix this problem other than suggested to use the component or composite cable until their software team pushes out the fix to the STB. There is no ETA on the fix yet. The tech also said that the new DVR boxes has the same issue.

Hope they will come out with the fix soon so I can get rid of the component cables. I have another box qip 6200 which doesn't have this problem.  

0 Likes
smesiano
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, I have a Sony KDL 40S2000 and QIP 7100 DVR with the same problem with the HDMI ( I have a posting for the problem before I discovered yours) the Motorola guide says to turn the box off and on again after one second.  That does work but becomes annoying.  I have another work around, try this, go to MENU----->SETTINGS----->VIDEO SETTINGS------>SD OVERRIDE------->OFF.  Also make sure your aspect ratio is set to 1080i in the Video Format selection.  This solved my problem but my IMG and all SD channels come up in 4:3 mode I think because it forces all content through the HD output.  I hope Verizon fixes this with Motorola.

Steve

0 Likes
Kevin_Laverty
Contributor - Level 1

Apparently, this is a universal problem with the Motorola STBs that may affect some, though not all, TVs.  I was advised bya  tech that they regularly get calls about this issue and that he had noticed it to be a particular problem for Samsung and Vizio sets.  I have a recently purchased oshiba 32AV502 with the problem; on the other hand, the motorola DVR box with my 4-year-old Sony HD DLP set works fine with the HDMI connection.

The tech noted that Verizon kept telling Samsung that it had a firmware problem for a year before Samsung finally took action to correct it.  The genesis of the problem has to do with the audio and video signals sent from the STB to the TV set.  Unfortunately, the TV sets do not 'recognize' some part of that signal and are unable to complete the 'handshake' that allows the combined AV stream to be processed through the HDMI connection.

It seems that Verizon needs to work with Motorola to resolve this so that techs don't have to spend their time explaining this problem; please note, that the HDMI connection on my TV worked fine for a week or two before I lost the sound (not video in my case) with sparks and sputters.  In the meantime, component cables will have to do. . .

P.S. Can't find any kind of firmware updates on the Toshiba website.  Will likely need to call them and be told there isn't one.

0 Likes
Fwharvey

I had the same issue with a Toshiba LCD TV and the Motorola 7100 STB. This is how I resolved the issue.

I repeatedly called FIOS tech support and noticed the wide variance of skill levels at the first Tier of support. I finally spoke to a couple of Reps who had me try possible solutions which included changing options from the Motorola STB menu but to no avail. One particular Rep was relentless in his pursuit of customer satisfaction as all Reps should. The Rep managed to replace my 7100 with a 6416. Now, he didn't tell me in advance what model DVR I would receive. I assumed that it would be the 7216 but glad it was the 6416. I can now use my HDMI connections the way they were intended. I am also, sending a letter to the Business office regarding the outstanding support that this particular Rep provided. He really did follow the issue until there was an acceptable solution while working within the resources that were available to him. The bottom line is: Verizon did not do a good job checking the QA before installing the QIP 7xxx STB and thought that customers would be satisfied with using component cables instead of HDMI cables if the picture was the same.  They failed to realize that some of their customers have extensive computer and electrical engineering skills and would not accept the workaround that was provided.

0 Likes
Henry_Gates

SAME PROBLEM WITH BRAND NEW TOSHIBA High Def TV from Costco.   Verizon Tech Support useless.  "We're aware of the issue - just use component cables until we get it fixed someday."

I've tried all the fixes suggested elsewhere on the net.  None of them worked. 

0 Likes
Kevin_Laverty
Contributor - Level 1

I wanted to bring to everyone's attention a minor miracle - of sorts.  I connected a better HDMI cable between the Motorola STB and my Toshiba TV referred to in my previous post.  All's been well for a couple of weeks now.  Am not sure if the better cable made the difference or not, but that's the only thing I've changed.

Purchased two 12 ft. HDMI cables at Costco that come bundled together with some TV screen cleaner.  Price was $39.99.  Considering the VZ tech gave me first ones at no cost, they were - no doubt - very inexpensive.  So that's my story.  You determine if you want to try a different cable.

0 Likes
cheme101

This is a problem specific the 7xxx series boxes.  I have two identical models of Sanyo TV that both green sceen on a 7100 box with the same cable.  Both TVs work perfectly with an older  6416 box that I have.  Again, I am always using the same HDMI cable in all test cases.

I use these same Sanyo TVs on other HDMI sources (HTPC/DVD/etc.) with no issues.

So, there is really only one conclusion, it is a Verizon issue and it is the 7xxx series boxes.

Yes, it is annoying. 

0 Likes