Re: Problems with new FIOS TV service
G-Pon
Contributor - Level 1

The Samsung vs Motorola issue would be a good one to google, I did and found almost 75,000 hits. The issue is one in which the 2-way communication is lost, Motorola blames it on Samsung, Samsung blames it on Motorola, if Dish network used Motorola boxes they would be having this problem too.

There is no gain in HDMI cable over comp. cables unless you are connecting to a Blye-Ray player instead of a cable box.

All cable companies have this problem, not just Verizon, so be sure of what equipment the next provider will be using. I just switched to comp cables at my house and all is good!

Samsung also has a hot-fix we are told, the key here is to tell their support that the sound and video are not matching up, like a poorly translated Kung Fu movie, they have apparently quit sending the fix to any other set of symptoms. Then will send a little memory chip and flach the processor on the TV.

Personally, I think the set-top box Mfgr. has a lot more validity in their claim it is the TV's fault because only samsung (and a VERY few builds of Sony) have the problem.

0 Likes
G-Pon
Contributor - Level 1
There is a second option called a "Set Top Box Reload" which re-installs parts of the software on the box, this may eventually be needed, the Verizon support team can administer it for you. But the 2500 is a simpler box than the silver colored ones this more commonly happens on so the power-cycle fix actually stands a better chance of being a good fix.
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

When you say you replaced the coax...what kind of wire did you replace it with?

Pre-made cable?

rg59 or rg6?

Is it going through any splitters?

Message Edited by Provider7 on 12-07-2008 11:23 PM
0 Likes
halfdragon

I have a Samsung TV, but it is connected via component.   Previously had an HD STB on the same TV with no problems.  Swapped it about a month ago for an HD DVR (QIP 7216) and the "Currently Unavailable" problem on HD channels started within a week.  Powering doesn't seem to fix it.  Sometimes the channel up/down trick will work, other times then I just get a blank screen with the previous channel's audio.   If this is a known issue with the 7200 series, anyone know if I can take it back and get a different module?    Seems to occur more with HBO and Cinemax channels, the regular HD cable channels are usually fine, and standard-def channels always work.   The other HD DVR in the house is a 6200 series and never has the issue.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@halfdragon wrote:

Swapped it about a month ago for an HD DVR (QIP 7216) and the "Currently Unavailable" problem on HD channels started within a week.  If this is a known issue with the 7200 series, anyone know if I can take it back and get a different module?    Seems to occur more with HBO and Cinemax channels, the regular HD cable channels are usually fine, and standard-def channels always work.   The other HD DVR in the house is a 6200 series and never has the issue.

It is a known issue with the 7216.  You would need to swap it for 6416 HD DVR.  The 6200 is just an HD STB, not a DVR.

0 Likes
halfdragon

Sorry, the other working DVR is a  6416, not a 62xx.  It is a DVR.   Will the Fios stores let you swap for an older model, if anyone knows?

0 Likes
Humble
Enthusiast - Level 3

In my previous post, I indicated that my "STB cannot be found" issue had been fixed and I had not had the "currently unavailable" problem for two weeks.   Well, tonight both are back and I am once again not pleased with the service.

Edmonds, WA

Sony XBR1

Box is a 7216

FIOS since 10/09/2008

0 Likes
dbst
Enthusiast - Level 2
Fixed! Verizon Customer Service walked me through the process and we identified the issue as the TV seeking rh wrong signal "source"  A simple adjustment to the TV corrected the problem.
0 Likes
Buddy
I've had this same issue.  The message is not from the TV; its from the DVR.  Switching stations around works sometimes.  If I really want it to go away, I reset the DVR.  Unplug it, plug it back in, wait for the DVR to come back up.  Takes about 1 minute.  Usually this happens when I've flipped through a bunch of HD stations and stopped on the one I want.  I get 15 seconds of show and then "Currently Unavailable."  I think the DVR has filled it's memory with little bits of the shows I've flipped through and can't catch up for awhile.  The problem goes away once the DVR has had time to rest.
0 Likes