QAM 114
scitechguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Since March 3, all channels on QAM 114 have been intermittently pixellating or freezing, making those channels unreliable or unusable.  STB's reset, cables checked, ONT rebooted, nothing worked.  

Since 5/8/20, these channels have been completely unusable.  

Does anyone know if this is a known issue, or why only one particular QAM is having problems when all the other channels are fine?

0 Likes
Re: QAM 114
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If happening on all your TVs it is most likely your ONT. It could also be coax wiring, splitters, or even the box itself. If your ONT is outside then Verizon can easily replace it. If inside you might have to assist the tech since they aren’t coming into the house. 
To bypass the wiring you can connect one of your STBs directly to the ONT to see if it is still happening. 

0 Likes
Re: QAM 114
scitechguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

It is happening on all the STBs, and a full wiring integrity and connection test was done several times, including a direct cable to the ONT.  In the diagnostics menu of the STB, I see normal power levels.  Rebooting the ONT does not work.

Additionally, my gigabit internet is just about 100Mb/s short of ideal, which is normal.

QAM 147 = Channels 597 Eleven Sports, 624 Discovery Life, 625 AHC, 735 Sundance, 793 Daystar.

I've tested every other channel, including the premiums, and on all STBs and the DVR, all is clean and distortion-free.

This has been going on since early March.  Strangely, at certain hours of the day, the channels on Q147 work perfectly, so there is some correlation between  distortion on these channels and the day and time of the week.  So, I guess I'd call it intermittent.

Unfortunately, the ONT is in the basement.  Any chance they would let me replace it myself?  I've worked in nearly every area of electronic engineering, networks, and computer engineering.  I have spectrum analyzers.  I've spliced fiber.  Or is something they will not allow under any circumstances?

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
Tiling, Pixellation on Qam 114 with no solution from Verizon in 4 months
scitechguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Problems have persisted on TV channels associated with Q114 since March.  Channels include 597, 624, 625, 735.  I have tried every suggestion from Verizon, and used the IOS app to diagnose the problem.  Gigabit internet is fine.  All other channels are fine.  This is a single issue related to Q114, and is intermittent.  I am a network engineer/EE/Computer Engineer and see no solution related to my home (cables, rebooting ONT, etc.)  The logic is that all other channels work perfectly, so cable issues and ONT issues would not affect a single group of channels.  

I expect an answer from Verizon, and a partial credit for lost service.  I fully realize that repeatedly telling a customer to go through repetitive rituals like checking cables is easy and free for the company.  Actually investigating the problem with qualified technicians is costly.  

Are you expecting me to just go away?  Ignore the problem?  No.  For over $200/month I expect the absolute best from Verizon.  My time is money, and I do not relish spending hours on the phone and my IOS device to no avail.  

So, please do your job.  

0 Likes
Re: Tiling, Pixellation on Qam 114 with no solution from Verizon in 4 months
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi scitechguy,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Messenger Inbox for a message from a Verizon Support agent. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page and then clicking the envelope icon that appears at the top of the menu. Response times may vary and may be delayed at this time. Please continue to check your Inbox for a reply from a Verizon agent. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes