QAM channels-is verizon still carrying them?
hammerjr

My tv tuner stopped getting any Qam channels about 3 days ago.  called support and they were clueless.  wanted to reset my cable box and said cable box was problem.  finally he said he asked someone else and that they were doing work and should be back up but no timeframe given.  I tried rescanning but still do not get anything.  I am with verizon howard county/anne arundel county in Maryland.  Anyone have any info on this issue?

0 Likes
Re: QAM channels-is verizon still carrying them?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since qam is also how your STB gets its pictures, the answer should be "no".  Problems would be if they started scrambling even the locals, something they are allowed to do under the new rules, but haven't done.  Check your cabling and TV settings.

0 Likes
Re: QAM channels-is verizon still carrying them?
hammerjr

Just to clarify, my tv tuner tuned clear qam channels one day and did not the next with no changes.  It still tunes through STB fine.  My setup is cable to splitter, one to STB and one to tuner.  I then disconnected the splitter and ran cable directly into tuner-no qam channels.  ran into STB-channels work fine.

0 Likes
Re: QAM channels-is Verizon still carrying them?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

They still use clear qam for the locals and have not announced plans to change that.  Some of the other cable companies plan to but our required to offer some sort of free solution at least for awhile after the do.  Even if they started scrambled them, your TV would most likely find them but be unable to display them. 

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

One possibility is that Verizon has done something to the PSIP (the header infromation that allows your device to translate QAM channel 70.2 and display it as the local station like 6.1).  This has happened several times at different VHOs in the past and the channel is in the clear but not in a manner which you recognize.

Still tunes fine for me in VHO8 (Philly area).

0 Likes
hammerjr

well it is working now.  I re-booted my computer and now it is working.  Forgot to say that my tuner is not a TV, but a TV tuner card, Hauppauge HVR-1950.  I don't know if there was a problem with signal or tuner but all is working fine now.  Thanks for all your input

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@hammerash wrote:

well it is working now.  I re-booted my computer and now it is working.  Forgot to say that my tuner is not a TV, but a TV tuner card, Hauppauge HVR-1950.  I don't know if there was a problem with signal or tuner but all is working fine now.  Thanks for all your input

Hauppauge cards are finicky like what you describe.  FYI I've also discovered that restarting the Hauppauge service will usually fix the issue without needing a reboot. 

0 Likes