QAM without STB
jim_the_runner
I was receiving local channels in HD with the digital QAM tuner in my HD TV until a few days ago.  Almost all the channels have disappeared.  The STB's work OK, but one of my TVs did not have an STB, it was connected directly to the cable.  It only receives 2.1, 4.3 and a handful of other channels.  Any idea how to get them back?
0 Likes
Re: QAM without STB
philhu
Contributor - Level 2

Rescan your channels

FiOS seems to like to change internal channel allocations on Clear QAM

0 Likes
jim_the_runner
I did that, but I will try again.  Thanks.
0 Likes
philhu
Contributor - Level 2

Well, I only get a handful too

My locals in SD

My locals in SD

The weather channel

Weatherscan

All the Musicchoice channels

Thats it

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

It is possible that they have removed or fowled up the PSIP information (remapping information so you tune 2.1 not the QAM channel).

Try looking in the 72.xx to 75.xx QAM channel range and see if the channels are there (this is  typically where Verizon has placed the local HD channels).

0 Likes
JanetInNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

This just happened to me yesterday!  I have an 15" Insignia (BestBuy) LCD tv in my kitchen.  It is connected to the cable, but not to an STB.  This TV gets sub-channels (2-1, NBC is 4-1, 4-2, 4-3 and so on).  Now I get 2.1, then it jumps to 4-4, then 7-3.  I finally found my networks up around 63-1000 and up.  Very weird.  I tryed running the auto channel feature.  That didn't help.  If I go to the manual add, these channels aren't listed. I tried unplugging everything to reset it and that didn't do anything either. 

I have not called Tech Support yet and don't know if I will.  I guess I'll just have to get used to new locations.   

The STBs work fine.  No problems there.

Janet in NJ

0 Likes
jim_the_runner

Hi Janet:

Thanks for the info.  I spent quite a while with tech support and they were basically clueless on this specific issue and insisted I could receive no signal without some form of STB.  I was for the longest time getting CBS on 2.1, NBC on 4.1, etc.  All via the channel autoscan feature.   They all suddenly disappeared a week or so ago (except 2.1).  My STBs all work fine as you indicated.  Interesting note, my Mom still has cable and she is still getting an analog signal for her tube TV.  I'll have to drag the little HD set over there and see what autoscan finds.  Thanks again for the feedback, glad to see I'm not going whacko!!!!

Jim

0 Likes
JanetInNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, Jim -- you're not going whacko.  I thought I was, too.  I have the cable that comes into the house attached to a splitter.  Then one cable from the splitter to the HD DVR in the living room and the other cable from the splitter to the kitchen TV.  I should probably mention that by connecting this TV this way, I don't get every channel on that TV.  That is okay.  It's in the kitchen and I don't watch it all that much.  There really is no place to put an STB there.  If I ran the cable from the STB, I would have to watch whatever they are watching in the living room and I don't always want to do that.   

I guess this channel switch must have something to do with the switch to digital tv.  I need to sit down and figure out what channel is at what location.

Good luck.  I hope they don't change anything else. 

0 Likes
AlanLinde
Enthusiast - Level 3

Before seeing this thread just now I started another thread yesterday on a variation of this. Ive just got fios with a settop box and new lcd tv with qam & analog tuner. Before fios, I got good local digital  signals with rabbit ears connected to the 'antenna' coax input. With the settop box on the hmdi input all is fine. But if I connect the fios coax into the tv instead of the box, I get nothing. A scan (tv set to antenna input) results in zero channels found.

Do I have to enter (sub)channels  manually in order for the set to see them?? What is going on?

Alan

0 Likes
jim_the_runner

I spoke to FIOS tech support, and they don't provide support unless you have a STB or digital adapter (the one they supply for analog TVs).  My HD TV with QAM tuner received all local channels in HD (2.1, 4.1, 5.1 etc) until very recently.  Maybe late January.  They stopped broadcasting analog cable altogther maybe around thanksgiving (we got a message on cable analog 2, 4 etc.).  Now I get HD 2.1 only.  There are other channels - you can find 4, 5, 7 somewhere.

The digitial channel search feature will locate them - but they are not in any order which makes sense.  I'm not sure they are the HD versions or not either (I didn't see the HD logo next to the station identifier).  Maybe I'll try a pair of rabbit ears.  It may be that the channel 2.1 is coming in "over the air" and just being received via the coax in the house....  It's a bit frustrating to say the least.  I see channel 4 on 72.27 for example.

0 Likes