With help on another thread I got my set to find the unencrypted channels with direct connection of the coax cable to the tv coax input (a stupid mistake on my part was the problem).
I get all the local (Washington DC) channels just where they are for rabbit ears. It doesn't give 2 or 22 (B'more)in those channels but they are there up in the high numbers as mentions above.
So as far as my test went (this was just a check to see if I buy a second set would I really need a settop box), Verizon is doing it all more or less correctly; certainly no complaints from me.
I found the same problem, thanks for giving the solution. It is a real pain trying to relate the obscure numbers with the common numbers, but once you do it is all good. Thanks to the guy who got the answer. The customer service guy I talked to was doing his best but was in the end cluelessI knew more than he did. AS usual, the people online know more than the people running the system. Viva the Internet!!
I'm glad I thought to check the forum today and see if there was any news. I ran my auto channel search and all channels are back to normal. I had a feeling it had something to do with the switch to digital. I guess it will happen again in June.