Re: QAM without STB
Teasip
Enthusiast - Level 3
FWIW, I was playing around with mine yesterday morning while awaiting my M card deliveries for my new TiVo's and found my locals up in the 60's.  They did not show up in the channels received listing however.
0 Likes
AlanLinde
Enthusiast - Level 3

With help on another thread I got my set to find the unencrypted channels with direct connection of the coax cable to the tv coax input (a stupid mistake on my part was the problem).

I get all the local (Washington DC) channels just where they are for rabbit ears. It doesn't give 2 or 22 (B'more)in those channels but they are there up in the high numbers as mentions above.

So as far as my test went (this was just a check to see if I buy a second set would I really need a settop box), Verizon is doing it all more or less correctly; certainly no complaints from me.

Alan

0 Likes
Dirwin
I finally spoke to a knowledgable FIOS network engineer who informed me that the PSIP (Program and System Info Protocol) was removed temporarily to support the digital tv transition.  This is the look-up table that tells your QAM tuner capable tv which channels correspond to which broadcast channels as well as the programming info for the program guide.  Without this info your tv can only provide the obscure channel numbers (72-1025) instead of CBS-Ch 2.  The PSIP is supposed to be restored after the Feb 17 transition but now that the transition has been delayed to June he had no idea when it would be restored.
0 Likes
jim_the_runner
Thanks for the update.  This is good news. 
0 Likes
TR-Tim
Enthusiast - Level 3

I found the same problem, thanks for giving the solution.  It is a real pain trying to relate the obscure numbers with the common numbers, but once you do it is all good.  Thanks to the guy who got the answer.  The customer service guy I talked to was doing his best but was in the end cluelessI knew more than he did.  AS usual, the people online know more than the people running the system.  Viva the Internet!!

0 Likes
Dirwin
Service has been restored.  Apparently the PSIP (program & system info protocol) which was temporarily removed in preparation for the DTV transition (see my previous post), is now back.  You will need to re-scan, but this time, instead of getting obscure channel numbers (like 74-1025), actual channel designations and program information is once again available.  We may have to go through this again prior to the new June transition date.
0 Likes
JanetInNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm glad I thought to check the forum today and see if there was any news.  I ran my auto channel search and all channels are back to normal.  I had a feeling it had something to do with the switch to digital.  I guess it will happen again in June. 

Janet

0 Likes