QIP-6416 won't store SD vid setting
tgeery

my Toshiba HD TV doesn't like the 480i video output from the DVR and gets jittery and sizes the screen wrong with that output.  easy enough, set the DVR to use the SD override to 480p, right?  except, the DVR won't STORE that setting.  every time you power cycle the DVR, the setting for SD video override returns to 480i.

so, each time I want to watch TV and if it happens to include watching SD material, I have to go into the DVR menu and go to settings, video, and SD override and select 480p.  all other settings I have put in place have been able to be stored by the DVR.

anyone have any ideas or suggestions?  is this a known bug?

0 Likes
Re: QIP-6416 won't store SD vid setting
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
Try the "OFF" option.  This will output your SD channels upconverted to whatever HD resolution you are using (720p or 1080i).  They will still be in 4:3 aspect ratio, just upconverted.
0 Likes
tgeery
to be honest, I don't recall an "off" position but I'll look and see how that works.  thanks for the suggestion.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@tgeery wrote:
to be honest, I don't recall an "off" position but I'll look and see how that works.  thanks for the suggestion.

It is the first option in the list. It may not be visible, you may need to scroll the list before you can see it. I like OFF because with my Sony TV, switching between an HD channel and an SD channel, in either direction, causes a several second delay, due to the HDMI re-syncronization necessary. By using OFF all channels, HD and SD, are presented to the TV in the chosen format and there is no delay.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
tgeery

well, the "off" setting definitely works but refuses to be stored, just like the 480p setting.  turn the DVR off for more than a few seconds, and the setting returns to 480i and you have to visit the menus again and reset it.

that sucks, every time you want to watch something that is not in HD.  can't figure out why the DVR won't store that setting!

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Well, try the hardware dialog rather than the Menu dialog. With the TV and DVR powered on:

1) Power off the DVR

2) Hit Select on the DVR

3) Hit Menu on the DVR

One after the other, pretty quickly.

4) You should now see a menu on the TV where you can set the type of TV and you can set the 4:3 override. Try setting it to whatever you want (as I said before, I like OFF, but it is of course up to you).

5) Hit the Power button. The menu will disappear.

6) Hit the Power button. This should turn the DVR on and you should see a channel.

I guess at this point you wait and try it out to see if the setting will stick being set this way.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@tgeery wrote:

well, the "off" setting definitely works but refuses to be stored, just like the 480p setting.  turn the DVR off for more than a few seconds, and the setting returns to 480i and you have to visit the menus again and reset it.

that sucks, every time you want to watch something that is not in HD.  can't figure out why the DVR won't store that setting!

Another suggestion is to leave the DVR "on" all the time.  Turning off the power doesn't really turn the DVR off, it only disables the audio and video outputs.  All other functions (tuners, hard drive, timers, etc.) are still running.  There is minimal power savings and may be a way around your issue. 

Ultimately it sounds like there is an issue with the DVR's nonvolatile memory - just an educated guess.  You might try getting Verizon to reinitialize (not just reset) the DVR - you will lose all recordings, favorites and any other personalized settings.

0 Likes
tgeery

testing the non-IMG menu and setting the override that way now, thanks for that suggestion.

as to leaving it on all the time, I suppose that is a possibility, I'd rather not but it is certainly one approach if the other suggestion doesn't work.

thanks guys, I'll post back.

0 Likes
tgeery

ok, nope, even from the power off menu, won't store it.

in the event that teh DVR is reading signals off the HDMI and changing the settings as a result, I'm now experimenting with the order that the devices are turned on by the programmable remote (A Harmony 880) that I use to control the AV system.  Might have no effect but clearly, the setting cannot be stored.

as a last resort, I could experiment with leaving the DVR powered on and see if it holds the setting after other devices are powered off.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Wait a minute!!!!! You have an AV system? Nowhere have you mentioned that previously that I can see. How is all this equipment connected? You need to provide complete details on the devices and how they are connected. Many people have experienced problems with the settings not sticking if they use an AV system - sometimes there is a setting in the AV system that is causing the problem.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes