QIP-7216 Linear PCM audio doesn't always work
Steve01

Ok so my setup is with the HD DVR model 7216 hooked up to my audio/video receiver via HDMI.  One day I was just playing around and noticed that when I hit the "Fios TV" button in the middle of my remote that the audio sometimes switches to a Linear PCM signal output.  My problem is that it doesn't output that signal by default, and if it is in Linear PCM and I accidently hit the FIOS TV button and the PCM switches off, I can't always get it back.  Do I have a bad box or is there a setting to fix this that I can't find?

0 Likes
Re: QIP-7216 Linear PCM audio doesn't always work
philhu
Contributor - Level 2

What type of receiver?

There are quite a few 'older' receivers that do not do the HDMI spec 100% because it is/was so confusing.  The symptom of your signal changing and then not coming bak is a very typical problem with them.

0 Likes
Steve01

Its a brand new Sony STR-DH800 so it's not that.  And I am pretty sure it was doing the same thing with my older receiver with Dig Coax or Optical hooked up instead of HDMI.

0 Likes
StuffOfInterest
Enthusiast - Level 3

There have been a number of documented problem with HDMI in the 7216.  I've had all sorts of trouble using it with a Sony receiver, TV, and Blu-ray player.  In my case, the 7216 appears to interfere with HDCP handshaking between components.  This causes the devices to switch from 5.1 or 7.1 channel audio to only 2 channel.  The best example I have is that if the 7216 is plugged into the receiver via HDMI then my Blu-ray player will only output 2 channel audio.  This is under IMG 1.7.  I finally gave up and switched to component cable and digital audio cable from the 7216 to the receiver.

0 Likes