Re: QIP 7216 STB Fan Noise
Matty015
Hi everybody,
I just received a QIP 7216 on 10/4/13 and either the cooling fan or hard drive was very noisy, so loud in fact there was no way I could keep it plugged in while trying to sleep! However, my existing box in the living room is dead quiet??? So, I thought about switching the boxes and living with it, but I decided to try to find a cure. I compared the settings from the living room DVR (the quiet one) to the new box (steam engine). I found that I had the LED Brightness display set to low and this was really the only difference between the two...So I set the LED brightness setting to LOW on the new box, and voila, the box quieted down to a a whisper!! Being a skeptic that I am and not believing that this was the problem, I went back to my other QIP 7216 box and changed the setting to high and there was no difference in the fan noise; therefore, I suspect that this is only a affecting a select number of units, that some of us unlucky customers get stuck with!

I'm not sure if this is the cure for everybody else here but, It's worth a shot!

On the remote hit:
Menu<Settings<Set-top box<LED Brightness<Low

If it doesn't work, I suggest having Verizon send you a replacement, as my case shows not all boxes are affected.

Good luck!
0 Likes
Matty015
By the way, once the box quieted down after changing the setting, an hour or so later I was curious and went back in and changed it back to Normal and High, and the box stayed quiet??? This was not the case when I first discovered the anomaly, as the fan noise changed in unison with the brightness setting. So now I'm wondering if this is just a glitch that happens during initial start up/update and registration of a newly received box??? Who knows, but I'm happy I have a quiet box in the bedroom!
0 Likes
lightfoot2
It worked! I ordered a new box and had the same fan noise. I tried changing the LED setting to low, and the noise went away instantly. Thanks Matty!

0 Likes
Saralea

I just received a replacement for my QIP 7216 because the other one was making a intermittent  and labored fan noise all the time. When I installed the replacement, it too made the same loud noise, but constantly. I just took your advice and changed the brightness to low, and the noise immediately stopped. I hope it stays that way.  Thanks for the tip.

0 Likes
jeffsmess

Thank you so much for this post. My DVR has been howling away for almost a couple of weeks now and I was afraid I might have to deal with Verizon's customer service again Smiley Sad But after changing the led brightness to low its back to being quite again! Good Find Matty! Smiley Happy

0 Likes
SQ9

Having the same issue with the fan running. On my 3rd box in a month. So replacing the box is not the solution. Also changing the LED to low did not work. Unplugging the unit did stop the fan but the record function did not work. For the record function to work ,I had to resend the signal but fan started running. Verizon needs to step up and find a solution.

SQ

0 Likes
BillNVA

My 7216 had been working great for well over a year.  Last month, it started making the constant fan noise.  I had Verizon send a replacement that arrived this morning.  I hooked it up and what do you know the new one makes the same noise.  Changed the LED settnig to low with no result.  I'll try again to get a new one sent out. 

0 Likes
d2train

Had our QIP 7216 for at least 2 years with nary a problem.  Then a few weeks ago, I started getting the

intermittent fan noise.  Tried Matty's fix of changing the LED setting and voila, no more noise!!  THANKS MATTY!

0 Likes
SRoberts2

Yes, Verizon, this is still a problem.  Just talked to verizon tech support and getting my 3rd motorola dvr in a month.  So far, both DVRs I have gotten have had bad fan noise.  The first one would run fine for a couple days and then start up at night when nothing was being used or recorded.(Adding this as my tech support guy thought that was what would do it).  After unplugging for a while and resetting, it would be fine for a couple more days.  The new one we got ran non-stop from the moment we plugged it in.  That one is going back home to verizon.  I am sure they will ship it back out to another one of their "valued" customers.  I tried asking if I could get a different model than the QIP 7216 and was told they had no way to help.  Verizon tech said that he knows of no current issues with fan noise.  The posts I am looking at must be old.  I am adding this to ensure they realize the problem is still going on.  It is a problem with the equipment, not it's location.  There is no way the box is overheating in the middle of the night with nothing on.  If it were a heat issue, then it would turn on when the cabinet has the PS3, TV and DVR on at the same time.  Plenty of room around it, so no airflow issues.  Verizon, it is time to find better equipment.  I may have to start thinking of switching companies if this keeps up.

0 Likes
Citman1

I too have the problem with the fan constantly running on the same STB model.  This was a replacement for an older model STB which stopped working properly.  I've had the new STB for a week and it just started whirring this morning. There is sufficient space around the STB so ventilation is not a problem. I have unplugged the unit and restarted it.  I have also reset the LED brightness to low.  Neither step stoopped the constant whirring of the fan.  I guess I'll need to get another box.

0 Likes