QIP-7232 P2, Closed Captions are Blurry/Out of Focus
kspinka
Enthusiast - Level 3

Are the Closed Captions for FiOS transmitted in an alternate video sub-stream as opposed to being generated and rendered by the STB?  The reason I ask is because with IMG 1.8 on the QIP-7232 P2 in a high-rise MDU deployment, the Closed Captions look terrible, almost illegible on a 52" LCD.

Does anyone else here use the Closed Captions that has noticed this?

0 Likes
Re: QIP-7232 P2, Closed Captions are Blurry/Out of Focus
Hubrisnxs
Legend

hi, I use them pretty regularly, and havne't noticed that on mine.  I'm using a 73 inch tv, 7232.  and CC 1 from the STB. 

Which are you using,  cc1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6?  

have you tried the closed captions from your TV instead? 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

also consider changing the video settings.   go to menu > settings > video settings and then change the video format to 720p.  and try it out on high definition stations, and see if there is any difference. 

interlacing is not so good for words, that is why they don't use it on pc's.  

0 Likes
kspinka
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm using CC1, but it's hard to imagine that these are being generated by the STB unless there is some serious HDMI issue because when I turn the CC on, the text in the upper-right corner that says "Closed Captions: CC1" is as clear as it should be.  It's the captions themselves that are so blurry/distorted.  So I think the CC's are being transmitted in a video sub-stream that is poorly encoded along with the rest of my VHO5 feed via our high-rise MDU.  I can't think of another explanation.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Well, im not 100% sure about that but you could try the vzdirect forum if you wanted a direct answer. I'd be curious if it happened using your tv closed captioning or with 720p instead. Give them a shot.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect

Or

Www.twitter.com/verizonsupport

0 Likes
kspinka
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same issue in 720p.  Are you sure Verizon doesn't monitor their own forums?  That doesn't seem right.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Administrators monitor and move topics around. Its rare and infrequent that we see actual technicians in here. These are designed to be peer to peer forums, so if you need direct answers and want to bypass front line support, then you'll want to take advantage of the first two links. Or the contact us option at the bottom of the page. at the top of the forums, they state

The Verizon Community Forums is where customers help other customers.  

If you need assistance for specific Verizon account issues, please contact us.

0 Likes
LB-junkie
Enthusiast - Level 2

FIOS was installed at my house yesterday and I noticed the same thing. I have an 8 year-old Samsung 32-inch tube television and am watching in standard def. Just switched from Dish TV and found their service seemed to drop a lot of closed captioning.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm curious, have you guys tried using the Closed Captioning support found in your TVs as opposed to those generated by the STB? I'm not sure if FiOS supports Closed Captioning like the Satellite or Cable Providers do, or heck even OTA, but I suppose that could be an alternative if the captioning issues you're seeing are from a firmware issue.

Justin46
Legend

@Smith6612 wrote:

I'm curious, have you guys tried using the Closed Captioning support found in your TVs as opposed to those generated by the STB? I'm not sure if FiOS supports Closed Captioning like the Satellite or Cable Providers do, or heck even OTA, but I suppose that could be an alternative if the captioning issues you're seeing are from a firmware issue.

I do not use Closed Captioning, so my experience with it is minimal. But I just tried the following on my 7232 with 1.8 of the IMG and a 5 year old Sony 40" LCD:

1) Turned on Closed Captioning on the 7232 and viewed several different programs with CC1 on. The CC sometimes appeared at the top of the picture, other times at the bottom. And mostly in a very clear font, but sometimes in italics, not quite so clear.  I have no idea why the differences, but must be something in the way the CC text is sent by the channel. I did not see any difference using the other CC options (2 - 6).

Here are a couple of not-so-high-quality pictures (sorry about that, I am not much of a photographer):

2) Turned off CC on the STB and turned on CC on my TV,using CC1. No closed captioning at all on the same channels that did show it via the STB.

So my conclusion, based on very limited testing, is that the CC is quite clear via the STB and Verizon does not pass through the CC natively to the TV, the only way to view CC is via the STB settings. Can anybody confirm or deny my results?

Keller, TX 76248