QIP7322 2 issues with network connectivity and widgets
tknx

Whenever I try and launch a widget, it says I don't have a network connection. The device reports being online in system information. When I go to my router network connections, I can find the coax connection but not any sort of ethernet connection (both are plugged in).

So a few questions:

1. Is the ethernet port enabled?

2. If so, is my ethernet connection hosed?

3. If so, is this why my widgets don't work?

I've tried resetting the box, and there are no settings I can find related to network connections.

0 Likes
Re: ... network connectivity and widgets - Unrelated To Ethernet WAN
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@tknx wrote:

Whenever I try and launch a widget, it says I don't have a network connection ... I can find the coax connection but not any sort of Ethernet connection (both are plugged in).

So a few questions:

1. Is the Ethernet port enabled?

2. If so, is my Ethernet connection hosed?

3. If so, is this why my widgets don't work?

I've tried resetting the box ...

1.  I am assuming you have a standard and fairly recent home network.  No, Ethernet WAN is not enabled even though there is a cable there.  Your QIP 7232 connects to the network using coax and something called MoCA.  Your home network can connect to the Internet using coax WAN, or Ethernet WAN, but not both.  If you have TV (which seems the case), you use coax WAN.  Your devices can connect to the home network using MoCA, Ethernet, or wireless.  

2.  No, it is instead not enabled (I assume you are asking about Ethernet WAN).  Any Ethernet connection on your home network is Ethernet LAN which means your devices are connected to the router (not the QIP 7232) via Ethernet (or W-Fi).

3.  No.  Most likely there is a temporary connectivity issue with the QIP 7232.  Try the usual suspects: reboot all devices, use the "Fix DVR Issues" tools (and related tools in the DVR menu), etc.  Sometimes this requires more than one attempt.  If the issue continues, the device itself may be faulty.

0 Likes
tknx

I assume there is also no IP control of the box either?

I tried fixing and rebooting twice without luck, may try once more before reaching out to Verizon. Is there a newer/better box? Not sure how this compares to the Cisco one.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@tknx wrote:

I assume there is also no IP control of the box either?

I tried fixing and rebooting twice without luck, may try once more before reaching out to Verizon. Is there a newer/better box? ...

IP addresses for network devices (including the QIP 7232) are assigned by the router using DCHP.  STB/DVRs  usually show up as 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101, etc..

The widgets have been known to "act out" every so often.  However if everything looks OK on the DVR diagnostics and all other TV network functions seem OK, I doubt Verizon will recommend replacing the device solely for a "widget" issue.  I don't use them much so I have little experience (they are part of the various account services on the menus).

BTW, is there a specific widget that's not performing, or is this in general?  The QIP 7232 is the latest Motorola box, although there is talk about beta testing something called Verizon Media Server.  It's not yet really available.

0 Likes
Re: QIP7322 2 issues with network connectivity and widgets
PJL
Master - Level 3
duplicate post  comments <sorry Armond>
0 Likes
tknx

None of the widgets will load, and I don't know why - haven't used them yet, but was going to see if they were useful.

As for IP control, I meant the ability to control the boxes from software like iRule or Roomie Remote or Crestron systems without having to use an IR blaster. As far as I can tell, this isn't supported, which is quite annoying as (1) it means that Fios is not an ideal choice for someone who is serious about home integration and (2) there is no real commercial reason not to have this feature available.

IP control is better than HDMI-CEC control since it doesn't really require harmonization of the standard and is better than RS232 which is just on its way out.

0 Likes
Re: ... network connectivity and widgets - IP Control Unavailable Now (And Later)
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@tknx wrote:

... As for IP control, I meant the ability to control the boxes from software like iRule or Roomie Remote or Crestron systems without having to use an IR blaster. As far as I can tell, this isn't supported, which is quite annoying as (1) it means that Fios is not an ideal choice for someone who is serious about home integration and (2) there is no real commercial reason not to have this feature available.

IP control is better than HDMI-CEC control since it doesn't really require harmonization of the standard and is better than RS232 which is just on its way out.

I take your point, but don't expect to find features like this in standard Motorola STBs any time soon.  Even the announced (but not released) VZ Media Center boxes don't offer this feature.  It's possible that higher end Tivo offerings may do so, but I don't keep count.

BTW for "serious" home integration, I suspect many users simply revert to media center custom built PCs and all that entails.  The market for this is far from "mass" and it's been that way ever since I started looking (which is measured in decades rather than years).  If you haven't already, I am sure you can find the latest on AVS Forums.

0 Likes