Qam Channel listings??

Qam Channel listings??

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 11 of 12
(10,011 Views)

@NJGary wrote:

I am 15 miles outside of NYC in NJ and cannot get either WNYC or WNJN. both channels are broadcast over the air but are not on Verizon FIOS channel lineup received without their set-top box. Aren't they obligated to provide me with all the stations I would get through an antenna?

How can I force Verizon to list their over the air lineup...

They are extremely frustrating and I would easily leavre Verizon over these issues.

Leave Verizon and all their services including phone, wireless, internet and TV.

Gary D.

Not sure you can "force" Verizon to offer you anything. Channels they provide are governed by the FCC and the agreement they sign with the local government. Can you get these channels with other local cable providers?

I live in Md between Baltimore and Washington DC. I am lucky that Verizon offers basic broadcast channels from both cities. But the smaller ones (WB, UPN, etc) I only get Baltimore. People in counties on either side of me only get the city they are closest to even though they can clearly get the other with an over the air antenna (possibly having to be repointed).
As far as QAM channel listing, I have been told before that they consider that info proprietary (Maybe Sanchez of Techman can corroborate?) But i was pointed to a website that sells a digital tuner that has QAM channel listing given your zipcode. It is pretty accurate. http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/channels

Hope this helps.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Highlighted
Silver Contributor IV
Silver Contributor IV
Message 12 of 12
(9,955 Views)

@NJGary wrote:

I am 15 miles outside of NYC in NJ and cannot get either WNYC or WNJN. both channels are broadcast over the air but are not on Verizon FIOS channel lineup received without their set-top box. Aren't they obligated to provide me with all the stations I would get through an antenna?

No.   No cable company is required to provide out-of-market stations.  Cable companies are only required to carry stations in their market (DMA) with "must carry" status.

A broadcaster can file a petition for "must carry."  If a station files such a petition, and it is approved by the FCC, then cable systems within that market (DMA) are required to add the channel.  However, as a consequence of that petition, the broadcaster cannot receive any compensation from the cable company for carrying the channel.

Some network affiliates do not file a "must carry" petition because they want to be paid a few cents per customer by the cable company. Cable companies have generally resisted this, especially without a long-term agreement, because they don't want to subject themselves to regular price hikes from local broadcasters.  That's why you sometimes hear about some cable systems that are missing one of the big four networks.

Message Edited by KenAF on 01-25-2009 04:19 PM
If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.