Quantum TV on Laptop..even Verizon is puzzled
centralpa2800

Hoping you can help...tech help and online chat didnt....except to say there's a plugin needed for my computer when they couldn't figure it out.  

Subscribed to Quantum tv last week because the cust service guy told me we could view live tv on our phones AND laptops using this service.  Got the FIOS app on the phones and just about every channel has an option called "view here" if you want to view that station on your phone when you are in the house...perfect.  

Now the laptops....went into TV.Verizon.com as the chat agent told me to do, clicked on "Live Tv," tried a station and got "Record" and "View Details" but did NOT get "Watch here," as we were told we would be able to do.  The agent said that channel just "wasn't available," (although the agent who convinced us to buy it told us ALL channels would be avail)...so we tried about 10 more channels..and none of them worked either.  Finally, he told me it was a plugin my computer needed and I should call the mftr...hmm...so now i guess that the 3 pcs and 2 macs I've tried this on ALL need a plugin in order to run it?  He said this was not a verizon plugin..but something missing from the computers....

Anyone here able to watch live (as they are happening" tv shows?  I can watch the local news on the app on my phone...but get nothign live on my laptop...at all... Seems verizon doesn't even know how to make their own product work....HELP! 

0 Likes
Re: Quantum TV on Laptop..even Verizon is puzzled
mcorbo
Contributor - Level 2

As far as I know, viewing TV and recorded programs is only available on the app and not on laptops and pc's

0 Likes
schinfchin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, I watch live TV on my laptop for the past year or two since I upgraded to Quantum. NOT all channels are available as its up to the TV networks. I'm not aware of any special plugins except a "shockwave" plugin when the live TV stream sometimes dies with an error message that the plugin stopped working. So I log out and back in again.

I like watching my local CBS channel on regular TV, but its not available thru FIOS as its a CBS decision. Instead I watch the local ABC station live which is available on FIOS. Reason is the local CBS station decided to make its contents thru CBSallAccess,com and charge $5.99/month for it.

I also watch MSNBC and CNN  live as well at work, and sometimes at home on my laptop. The problem with MSNBC is after an hour or two, it logs you out and I have to log back in. What a pain. I have no similar problems with CNN. There are plenty of other channels available besides these three that I watch.

I could also look at program listngs and record a program on my home DVR thru the internet, though not watch DVR recordings at work. 

In the Verizon menu, it'll be easier if you select "Watch FIOS", then "Networks", and then "Live TV"networks, if all you want is live TV. You can also do Watch FIOS then Live TV as well, but I sometimes find this path, though simpler, is somewhat problematic.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

A few monhts back, Verizon made the Quantum VMS DLNA complaint.
So you need software that can support DLNA.

In addition, there may be a plugin required as well.

I have heard the XBOX can talk to it.

I have tried a couple of times with VLC.

I can see the folders but it doesn't play well.

0 Likes
NEIL13764
Contributor - Level 2
When I try using Chrome there is a message "couldn't load Plug-in". Does nyone know what plug in is required?
0 Likes
schinfchin
Enthusiast - Level 3

I watch FIOS TV on Windows 10 laptops and Windows 7 laptops and had yet to install plugins. I also use Chrome.

However, occasionally the TV stream stops working and I get an error message "Shockwave Flash plugin stopped working". I don't know whether this is the plugin they're referring to. If you google it, this plugin available via "Adobe" for free.

0 Likes
NEIL13764
Contributor - Level 2
No it is not shockwave, I checked and I have it installed. If you don't mind could you give me a list of the plugin that you have installed?
0 Likes
NEIL13764
Contributor - Level 2
I tried watching live TV on a Win 10 tablet iusing Chrome and it has the exact same extensions and plugins as the laptop, It worked fine on the tablet. I then reset all of the Chrome settings on the laptop and then tried watching live TV with the same problem resulting.
0 Likes
NEIL13764
Contributor - Level 2
Well, I finally got the live tv to work, I uninstalled and then reinstalled Chrome and it now works. Is there any to watch programs recorded on my DVR on my PC?
0 Likes
KarlHungus53
Contributor - Level 1

There is no true Fios mobile equivalent for Windows.  We all just have to wait until Verizon decides to make one.  The DLNA support is a joke.  From my research, the only device in the entire world that can decode the DLNA streams from the VMS is a Playstation 3.

0 Likes