Quantum TV pause on 1 TV and pick up on another.
jfair1962
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay, am I missing something?  I see the ads for quantum TV that state you can pause live TV in 1 room and pick up where you left off in another TV else where in the house.  I upgraded about a month ago and I have not figured out how to do that?  I paused it on one TV, I go in another room turn on the TV and box but can't find where I select to pick up the paused channel?  What am I missing?  I look under DVR but don't see any recording for the channel I paused?  can someone please explain how to pause live TV in 1 room and pick up the paused channel in another room???

0 Likes
Re: Quantum TV pause on 1 TV and pick up on another.
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I beleive you just tune to the paused channel. It will be paused and you can resume from there.

0 Likes
jfair1962
Enthusiast - Level 2

I thought that as well but it is not.  Example I paused channel 505 which FOX in Wash DC.  When I tuned to it on my other set it was not paused??

0 Likes
demery
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too would like to know how to do this as well. I've tried pausing the TV I'm watching, then turning it off. Going to another TV and entering the channel number I was previously watching and it goes straight to the current live feed.I agree they advertise this as a feature of Quantum, but I'm unable to find any instructions on how to perform the task. Thanks for any help you can provide.  

0 Likes
demery
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, so I was able to make it work by pausing TV - 1 and then going to TV - 2 and changing to the channel that was paused on TV - 1.You then have to go back to TV - 1 and turn off the FIOS Box.

Really this is the best they could do. So in a two story house I'm watching downstairs (pause the TV) go upstairs turn on the TV and switch channel, then go downstairs turn off the TV and then go upstairs to finish my program.

Justin46
Legend

@demery wrote:

Ok, so I was able to make it work by pausing TV - 1 and then going to TV - 2 and changing to the channel that was paused on TV - 1.You then have to go back to TV - 1 and turn off the FIOS Box.

Really this is the best they could do. So in a two story house I'm watching downstairs (pause the TV) go upstairs turn on the TV and switch channel, then go downstairs turn off the TV and then go upstairs to finish my program.

Why do you feel you have to turn off the first STB? I leave all of my boxes on 24/7, there is really no difference in energy consumption. Just turn the TV off and go watch the rest on the other TV.

The only time I am aware of that there is ANY benefit to turning off one or more of the STBs is if you want to record lots of channels at the same time. The VMS has 6 tuners, and one tuner is dedicated to each client that is powered on. So if you have 3 clients (plus the VMS) and they are all on, then 4 tuners are "busy" and you can only record 2 other channels at that time. And the dedication of a tuner in the VMS to each powered on client is the reason you can pause and pick on another STB, and why you can't do so if you turn the paused SB off, the tuner is released.

Again, just leave the STBs on.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
demery
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your input and you descried my setup exactly, I have one server and three client boxes. So if I leave all of the boxes on, that will only leave me with two tuners for recording. That would put me back to the limited capability of the whole house DVR. I guess I wish that Verizon would have added an option like Pause / Resume, that would allow you to turn off the box, but it would leave the tuner active on the server for a period of time. It could be set for like 5 minutes to allow you to move to your other box and resume and if you fail to do so within the 5 minutes it then would release the tuner. I guess a crude work around would be to use the inactivity timer. 😞

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@demery wrote:

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your input and you descried my setup exactly, I have one server and three client boxes. So if I leave all of the boxes on, that will only leave me with two tuners for recording. That would put me back to the limited capability of the whole house DVR. I guess I wish that Verizon would have added an option like Pause / Resume, that would allow you to turn off the box, but it would leave the tuner active on the server for a period of time. It could be set for like 5 minutes to allow you to move to your other box and resume and if you fail to do so within the 5 minutes it then would release the tuner. I guess a crude work around would be to use the inactivity timer. 😞

Minor correction: that leaves you with two tuners which can be used to record two channels not currently tuned to by the powered-on boxes.

You should be able to concurrently record any of the channels the clients are tuned to. So with three clients, if you want to record 5 channels concurrently for example, you should be able to, by having the three clients each tuned to a different one of the channels you want to record.

I feel that one of the shortcomings of the current Quantum TV implemention is tuner management, and the corresponding difficulty for the user to figure out what tuners are in use by what devices, or conversely, which tuners (or at least how many) are free. When I am watching one of my clients and I start channel-surfing, I am frequently surprised to see programs on channels that I don't think either of us is or has been watching show up with a long bar showing that I can scroll back a long ways on that channel. I can't find any logical reason for that. I wish Verizon would provide some way to see which tuners are being used by which devices, possibly a pop-up response to pressing one of the unused A, B, C, or D buttons, and perhaps some easy method of remotely powering off a device (with a parental control setting or something).Or at least publish something on how tuner management works.

Now there is a method using the Menu to disconnect a specific client from the server if you really need to free up a tuner without trudging up or down stairs:

Menu ==> Settings ==> System ==> Media Server Settings ==> Disconnect Media Client

But I think using that function would require you to remember to reconnect the client before it would work again.

And lastly, for I think an additional $10/mo you can replace one of your clients with another VMS and have a total of 12 tuners, which should let you do whatever you want. Smiley Very Happy

Don't know if the above helps, or just confuses things. But for me with only 2 clients I haven't experienced any issues recording whatever I want, and thus I really haven't explored how to more easily accomplish what you want. I will try to do some investigation and if I find anything that appears useful I will report back.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes