Question about Fios STB integration with Samsung smart TVs.
mgdpublic
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm in market for new TV and possibly upgrading my FiOS from vms1100 to FiOS one. For internet I currently use their old actiontec router as a bridge for my Google mesh WiFi. I was looking at the 43'' Samsung TU-7000 and 8000 (this is just a TV for kitchen, not my main). One thing I loathe is the lagginess of the FiOS remote. Does the 8000 with it's special remote generate its own menu from FiOS data so that I don't have to deal with their guide? Or if I wanna use voice to change channels does it make sense to use Google home or the Samsung remote? I guess I'm trying to decide if the box upgrade and 7k to 8k upgrade are worth it or if I'm paying for features rendered obsolete by upgrading one or the other. Also, is it possible to upgrade to FiOS one if I'm using the actiontec bridging to Google mesh? Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Re: Question about Fios STB integration with Samsung smart TVs.
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@mgdpublic wrote:

I'm in market for new TV and possibly upgrading my FiOS from vms1100 to FiOS one. For internet I currently use their old actiontec router as a bridge for my Google mesh WiFi. I was looking at the 43'' Samsung TU-7000 and 8000 (this is just a TV for kitchen, not my main). One thing I loathe is the lagginess of the FiOS remote. Does the 8000 with it's special remote generate its own menu from FiOS data so that I don't have to deal with their guide? Or if I wanna use voice to change channels does it make sense to use Google home or the Samsung remote? I guess I'm trying to decide if the box upgrade and 7k to 8k upgrade are worth it or if I'm paying for features rendered obsolete by upgrading one or the other. Also, is it possible to upgrade to FiOS one if I'm using the actiontec bridging to Google mesh? Thanks in advance!

Can't answer all your questions, but I can say that upgrading to the Fios One boxes should speed response up a bit. The guide material will be the same Fios supplied guide as the TV doesn't re-render the guide. It creates it own from OTA info but only when watching OTA channels. As far as voice remote, I believe Fios IS google compliant so you can use that or the supplied voice remote. You could use your current router setup if you don't plan on using any Minis wirelessly. Also it depends on which Actiontec router you are using, as the earlier non-gigabit ones will not work for any 4K services. You need at least the G1100 series router for that. As far as 8K TV, you can't even get 4K content on a reliable basis unless you have Netflix or another pay service, 8K is WAY off in the distance. Considering you are looking at a relatively small TV, the benefits of 4 or 8K will not be noticed. You really have to go to at least 55" and be fairly close to the TV to see the resolution increase. As far as HDR, that will be noticeable in any size TV you buy, but again content is still somewhat limited. Someone else will have to help with the network side of your questions.