Re: Questions about switching to Fios Quantum TV
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Last I heard, there were no plans to add support for external drives.

DVR is not intended for long term storage.

Keep in mind, failure of stb or HD, and you lose everything anyway.

0 Likes
danivanov
Enthusiast - Level 3

@hlppls wrote:

Quantum TV works a little different based on the recording level you choose.

Fios Quantum TV Enhanced Service is able to:

• Support up to 5 TVs (1 VMS and up to 4 IPC's)
  • Record up to 6 shows at once
  • Store up to 100 hours of HD programming (or up to 500 hours of standard-definition programming)

Fios Quantum TV Premium Service is able to:

• Support up to 10 TVs (2 VMS and up to 8 IPC'S)
  • Record up to 12 shows at once
  • Store up to 200 hours of HD programming (or up to 1,000 hours of standard-definition programming)

Enhanced has one vms box and Premium has 2. Each VMS is independent. The VMS does all of the recording and tuning of stations for all the other boxes. The other boxes are IPC's . They do not have tuners in them, the get all of its tv service thru the VMS it is paired to. You can pair up to 4 IPC's to a VMS. The recording feature you choose (Premium or Enhanced)  determines how many vms boxes you have. Each VMS has it own recording list and schedules. These lists are separate and can be viewed from the other boxes. The boxes are named so you can tell them apart. The VMS boxes are the only ones that show in your recording list and schedule since they are the only ones with tuners (6 tuners per VMS).  Quantum TV is limited to a max of 2 VMS boxes.

FYI you can also do a basic dvr service with Quantum TV with the VMS only have 2 of the 6 tuners available to be used for recording and storage limited to 500 gigs.

Sorry for bringing up an old post. Have a quick question. 

I just upgraded to the enhanced DVR service. Before that I had the regular multi-room DVR (with 1 DVR and 5 STB's and the DVR could stream to all the STB's).

So now after my upgrade I am going to have 1 VMS and 4 IPC's.

Since the IPC boxes are not tuners and have to listen to the VMS, does that mean it will consume bandwidth from my internet? 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

No.
The VMS has 6 tuners.

Each active IPC uses one of those tuners.

So it "streams" from VMS.

Keep in mind that the number of active IPCs affects the number of simultaneous recordings you can have going.

danivanov
Enthusiast - Level 3

Gotcha, thank you Rob much appreciated.

How are the VMS tuners broadcasting the data to the IPCs? Is it wireless or through the coax cable? I mean I suppose it has to be through coax since the IPCs wouldn't be connected via coax if it was wireless, I guess I just didn't know that a cable box could receive and transmit signals via coax. That's pretty neat.

Also; 

@CRobGauth wrote:

Keep in mind that the number of active IPCs affects the number of simultaneous recordings you can have going.

How many simultaneous recordings can I have with 3 IPCs?

@CRobGauth
0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

They tansmit and receive data on coax via moca 2.0 connection. So you will need to also upgrade to an actiontec rev i router with the red band or fios quantum gateway router unless you already have one of them. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The vms has 6 tuners so if your watching the vms and no other clients are in use then you could be recording 5 other things. But if any clint is being used then that will take up one of the tuners. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The clints can also work using an ethernet connection if one is available. 

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Edg1 wrote:

They tansmit and receive data on coax via moca 2.0 connection. So you will need to also upgrade to an actiontec rev i router with the red band or fios quantum gateway router unless you already have one of them. 

Not that it buys you much the IP STB can also be connected via Ethernet.  Routers can be the Actiontec rev I or the Greenwave G1100.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

That’s how I have my mother in laws house. All three clients are on ethernet.  I feel its a better connection. But sometimes you cant always get the ethernet where you need. But as long as you have rg 6 you should be good. 

0 Likes
danivanov
Enthusiast - Level 3

Gotcha, so I am assuming if you do have VMS on ethernet then it does consume bandwidth, or is it still on MOCA regardless?

One more question; with the new VMS system is the picture finally 1080p or is it still 1080i?  How about netflix via fios, is that 1080p?

0 Likes