RF Cable to Router Question
mbd1968

I beleive the RF cable to my router (Westell Ultraline series 3) carries the guide info to the STBs, I want to put a TV and STB in my office enxt to the router and want to know if I can run a splitter off that cable for the HD STB or do I need to run a new cable.

Thanks for any extra info, tips and advice you can offer.

M.

0 Likes
Re: RF Cable to Router Question
AtomicRooster
Contributor - Level 1

Theoretically it should work. It depends on how much signal loss will result. It would not be too expensive to give it a try, I would get a second opinion from VZ just to be safe if you are going to have spend more than a few dollars for a splitter and some cable.  I had 3 STBs on different runs, split off a single feed in my attic, so splitting the one coming into my office was going to cause enough signal loss for me to find a different solution. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the only thing I would add, is that you need a splitter that is rated 5-1000mhz or better.   If you use a lower rated one, you will probably have trouble getting the guide and or VOD 

but in general, yes just use a TV splitter, and you can do exactly that

0 Likes
mbd1968

Thanks, I will give it a try... don't why I didn't think of that... duh!! 

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just to confirm, I have a setup with a splitter with the router (actually a MoCA bridge, but same thing essentially) and TV sitting next to each other in the same room.  It's 5-1000MHz splitter rated for digital cable.  Just insure you keep the number of splitters between each device and the ONT in your home to as few as possible in order to minimize signal loss.

0 Likes