Recent switch to Ethernet from ONT
BrainalLeakage

Hi, I apologize if this has been resolved elsewhere.  So decided to use my own router and followed Justin's guide including connecting the WAN port of my Quantum Gateway router to one of the LAN ports on the new router (Asus RT AC 5300) so I could get guides and on demand through the STB.  Everything was fine for a couple of days then I lost the guide. I've checked the  cables,  shut everything down and restarting including STBs and nothing seems to help.  The weirdest thing to me is that is was working for a couple days (guide at least, didn't actually attempt VoD but that's secondary).  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Hiping I'm just missing something dumb and easy.  Thanks! 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Recent switch to Ethernet from ONT
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most likely the Asus and FiOS routers are sharing the same IP address 192.168.1.1 so they FiOS router and STBs are not actually getting internet access. You’ll have to switch the IP address of one of them. 

Since you are using the FiOS router in my opinion the best setup would be to use that connected first and turn off the wireless signal. Then login to the Asus and set it up in access point/wireless bridge mode. This way all your devices will be on the same subnet. And you will never have any issues. 

So in short I would recommend hard reseting FiOS router and connect that to ONT. Then log in and turn off wifi. Next hard reset Asus and set it up in AP mode then connect it to FiOS router LAN port. Reboot your boxes and you should be all good. 

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The set top boxes probably don't have a connection to the Internet. They use the FiOS router, or a MoCA adapter for this. If you still have your FiOS router, connect it behind your ASUS and the guide information should return. Remember that you'll still need the FiOS router (or your MoCA adapter) connected to the same coax network as the set top boxes.

A good test for Internet connectivity after re-connecting your FiOS router is to try opening one of the widgets on the Set Top Box. YouTube or Weather should both attempt to request information real time.

BrainalLeakage

Thanks for the reply Smith. I do have the FiOS router WAN connected to the new router LAN.   All the lights are on the FiOS router, none are red but the STBs say no connectivity.  I thought they would automatically connect to the router but maybe I need to connect something manually? It wasn't mentioned in the guide but I feel like I've tried everything.  (At least that I can think of)

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most likely the Asus and FiOS routers are sharing the same IP address 192.168.1.1 so they FiOS router and STBs are not actually getting internet access. You’ll have to switch the IP address of one of them. 

Since you are using the FiOS router in my opinion the best setup would be to use that connected first and turn off the wireless signal. Then login to the Asus and set it up in access point/wireless bridge mode. This way all your devices will be on the same subnet. And you will never have any issues. 

So in short I would recommend hard reseting FiOS router and connect that to ONT. Then log in and turn off wifi. Next hard reset Asus and set it up in AP mode then connect it to FiOS router LAN port. Reboot your boxes and you should be all good.