Recommended settings for HDTV
dross333

Hi, I just got an HDTV and am a little confused as to what are the "best" settings for video.  When I go into the FIOS video menu I'm a little confused.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

David

0 Likes
Re: Recommended settings for HDTV
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@dross333 wrote:

Hi, I just got an HDTV and am a little confused as to what are the "best" settings for video.  When I go into the FIOS video menu I'm a little confused.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

David

The "best" settings are what looks best to you.  That being said, it also depends on the TV you are hooking up to.  Ideally it should be set to the aspect ratio of your TV (I'm assuming that would be 16:9 for an HDTV) and the native resolution for HD (1080i or 720p - depends on your TV and I am assuming you have a flat panel and not a CRT set).

Now comes the trickiest one the SD override.  Some sets don't accept 480i over HDMI so be careful here.  Setting this to "OFF" causes the FiOS box to output SD (4:3) at whatever resolution you have selected for HD(the box upconverts the resolution).  The best bet is to try the different options for the SD Override and select whatever works best with your TV and looks best to your eye (some TV sets do a better job of converting SD to their native resolution than the box will).  The other option is whether you want SD in 4:3 (black side bars) or stretched to fill the 16:9 screen (personal choice is to never stretch, YMMV).  As always, the best setting is what looks best to you Smiley Wink

0 Likes