Reconnect a cut fios cable?
dwdavid1
Hoping someone can help us out. We just moved into a new house and the tv cable in the living room wouldn't stretch to where we wanted our tv and box setup (the previous owners had their tv in a really awkward spot). My husband figured he would split the cable himself realizing a little too late that fios cable is NOT the same as regular cable and a typical splitter wouldn't work.

Two questions:

1. Can we actually split the cable if we purchase fios cable or do we need Verizon to come out and do the connection themselves?

2. Is it possible to just reconnect the split cable to itself?

Hope that makes sense...please tell me if I need to include more details about the setup! Thanks!
0 Likes
Re: Reconnect a cut fios cable?
mphare
Contributor - Level 2

FiOS cable is mostly the same as 'regular' cable (RG6), maybe a higher bandwidth than CATV.

Get a splitter that is rated at least 5 MHz to 1000 MHz (the ones I bought are rated to 1500 MHz). Mine also have no attenuation. But, otherwise, there is nothing magic about the setup.

Re: Reconnect a cut fios cable?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The post above says it all. It's just typical RG6 Coaxial cable similar to what you'd get from a Cable Company. The splitter is the only special requirement besides the Coaxial cable rating. Just be sure you don't cut the line coming FROM outside to the Verizon ONT. That won't be too good as only a Verizon tech can repair that due to that being a Fiber Optic cable 😉