Remote Control Issues
cdkh
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently switched over to FIOS and an having issues with my remote control.  I have a QIP 7200 series HD DVR.  I have an HDMI cable coming out of the box and connected to my JVC receiver.  I have a HDMI cable coming out of the receiver and it is connected to my Panasonic Plasma HDTV.  I use a Harmony 659 remote.  This is the exact set up I had with my old Cablevision HD box pre-switch.  Anyway, when I use the remote after flipping channels a couple of times, the box will just stop responding.  Then a couple of minutes later, everything is normal.  Then the cycle repeats itself.  I tried just using the FIOS supplied remote and the same thing happens.  Then I tried connecting my other 6200 series box (which i have connected to a different TV and also uses a Harmony 659 remote with no issues) into this setup and the same thing happens.

Is ti the recevier, the remote, the wiring?  Any ideas or help will be most appreciated.

Thanks. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Remote Control Issues
cdkh
Enthusiast - Level 2
Using the component video connection worked so there is clearly an issue with the HDMI handshake,  Fortunately, my receiver up-converts so whatever quality I lost is somewhat restored before it goes through the HDMI cable to my TV.  It's still annoying that I had to do this instead of just using the HDMI connection from the box to the receiver.  Hopefully this issue is addressed at some point and I can switch back.  Thanks for all your help.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

It's possibly an HDMI handshake issue.  If you plug the STB directly into your TV does the problem still occur?  This would tell if it is the receiver or the TV.  You could also try using component cables to eliminate the problem. 

Other forums have reported many issues with various HDMI setups and the Moto boxes. Don't take these as solutions (band aids at best) and ultimately the issues with HDMI need to be resolved if they are the problem.

0 Likes
cdkh
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks for the reply.  I thought about going the component cable route, but I wanted to exhaust all other options first since the quality from HDMI is better. I will try the direct connect to the TV and see how that works.  If it doesn't, I will try the component suggestion.  I will report back shortly.
0 Likes
cdkh
Enthusiast - Level 2
Using the component video connection worked so there is clearly an issue with the HDMI handshake,  Fortunately, my receiver up-converts so whatever quality I lost is somewhat restored before it goes through the HDMI cable to my TV.  It's still annoying that I had to do this instead of just using the HDMI connection from the box to the receiver.  Hopefully this issue is addressed at some point and I can switch back.  Thanks for all your help.
0 Likes