Remote DVR Tip
TonyGorgon
Enthusiast - Level 1

After many months, I've finally gotten Remote DVR working and decided to post here in case it helps anyone else. Long story short, I disabled DHCP on the route because it's generally pretty crappy and I have a separate box that does a much better job with DHCP (and most other things). Unfortunately, that disrupted UPNP from my DVR and broke Remote DVR.

After a lot of research and testing, I finally figured out that you have to forward UDP port 63145 to the DVR for Remote DVR to function. Unfortunately, Verizon support was not helpful in resolving this issue.

If there is someone from Verizon reading this, I'd suggest you add this info to a FAQ. It might help a few customers and avoid some calls to the Verizon support line. Hopefully this post also helps other who may have encountered the same issue.

Re: Remote DVR Tip
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I have to ask.... are you using the default router configuration?  I have been using Remote DVR since its been available and the only change on my verizon router that I have ever done is change the wireless LAN from WEP to WPA2.

Not sure what you mean by the DHCP on the router is crappy.  It does its job and for a pc connection its basic, not sure what else you are looking for in a DHCP server.  

If you ever look at the DHCP packets that go between the Router and the DVR you will see there are other things in those packets the router sends out to the DVR, different that what a pc gets.

Additionally if you look at the port forwarding table you will see ports 63145 already opened up already (assuming your router is working properly).

I'm not bashing you or giving you a hard time.  I just wanted to have a friendly discussion about why you have been having a tough time with remote DVR in the defaut configuration.

0 Likes
Re: Remote DVR Tip
TonyGorgon
Enthusiast - Level 1

>> I have to ask.... are you using the default router configuration?  I have been using Remote DVR since its been available and the only change on my verizon router that I have ever done is change the wireless LAN from WEP to WPA2.

I've changed a few configs - DHCP and wifi are disabled because they're insufficient for my purposes.

>> Not sure what you mean by the DHCP on the router is crappy.  It does its job and for a pc connection its basic, not sure what else you are looking for in a DHCP server.  

It's functional if you need only basic features but it doesn't support any advanced features from what I recall, e.g. scope options, DNS registration, etc.

>> If you ever look at the DHCP packets that go between the Router and the DVR you will see there are other things in those packets the router sends out to the DVR, different that what a pc gets.

Can you elaborate on this?

>> Additionally if you look at the port forwarding table you will see ports 63145 already opened up already (assuming your router is working properly).

UPNP doesn't appear to work properly unless DHCP is enabled on the router and it is leasing an address to the DVR. 63145 was not being forwarded. That's my primary complaint. This stuff isn't brain surgery. It would have been helpful if Verizon had provided a simple FAQ showing which ports need to be forwarded for Remote DVR to function.

>> I'm not bashing you or giving you a hard time.  I just wanted to have a friendly discussion about why you have been having a tough time with remote DVR in the defaut configuration.

No worries. All good questions.

0 Likes