Remote controller affecting another unit?
Remote1

Hi, Does anyone have an answer to solve the following problem before I decide to switch service provider to finding a solution?

I have 2 TVs in 2 nearby rooms connected to two different Verizon TV consoles. When I change channels from one remote TV controller,

it affects the viewing channels in the other room. I'm told by Verizon support that I might be able to purchase a 3rd party device to possibly

handle discrete code better. Verizon currently has no solutions nor are they focused to solving this problem w/ upcoming new units.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

0 Likes
Re: Remote controller affecting another unit?
PJL
Master - Level 3

Apparently each of the set top boxes is in the line-of-sight for the IR remote controls; thus they are both seeing the commands from a given remote control.  The STB IR receiver sensors are very sensitive and handle a fairly wide field-of-view so you don't have to always point accurately at the STB.  You could try placing some sort of slightly opaque material on the front window of the STB where the IR remote control receiver sensor is located to make it less sensitive, or on the front of the remote itself where the IR signal is emitted.  Experiment a on how much material and where to place it.  This might work.

I personally don't see this as an STB deficiency as it seems it would be rare that STBs would be so near eachother as to have this problem.  I'm actually impressed with how well the remote works -- my DirecTV unit was very picky about pointing the remote at it.  The FiOS box is much easier in this regard.

0 Likes
kvelling1
Contributor - Level 1
Try placing a piece of  'frosted' scotch magic tape over the IR window on the STB.  You might have to experiment with the exact position and/or size of the tape (eg partially cover the IR area or fully cover it).
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@PJL wrote:

I personally don't see this as an STB deficiency as it seems it would be rare that STBs would be so near eachother as to have this problem.

Actually I have the same issue.  My kitchen TV is behind  me (its STB IR facing away form the main TV) yet aiming the remote at my main TV in front of me causes the STB in the kitchen to change as well (this has to be from reflections).  And yes, my solution is to block the IR receiver on the kitchen STB so my main TV surfing doesn't affect it (the kitchen set is hooked to a VCR so it is annoying if it suddenly changes in the middle of a recording or displays an error that I need an HD receiver to tune this channel Smiley Sad .

0 Likes