Remote takes 5 minutes to communicate with box
famattjr1

Ever since I switched to FIOS, it takes between 5 and 10 minutes for the remote to bring up the Guide, Favorites or change channels (it will operate mute). This is when turning the TV on when it has been off (but the box not turned off). This is the CHS 435HDC P2 DVR box. The batteries are fresh.. Seems like it just takes a rediculously long time to be able to do this. Finally I got impatient and changed channels with the control on the box. About 3 minutes later the remote started working, as usual. This is unique to the DVR box, in another room I have a non-DVR box and everything works right away. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Remote takes 5 minutes to communicate with box
Pahiker1
Contributor - Level 1

Resolution: I am posting this for others who may experience the same problem.

I had the Verizon tech out to my house yesterday, went through the problem and everything that was done to resolve it to-date. He verified the problem with his equipement then changed two of the cable connectors, one going into the box itself, one going into the router. Problem has been resovled.

He said the new complimentary upgrade of connection speed was probably the problem (does seem to have begun at that time). The higher speeds require a connection with no issues, whereas the slower connection could live with the bad connection. The cable on the box was a little loose going into its' connector, the router cable connector was poorly crimped. Both cables are pretty old, from back when we had Comcast.

He gave me a pretty technical (to me) explanation of all the communications going on between the DVR and Verizon every time a button is pressed on the remote. Have to admit, the box is responding a lot faster to button presses than it ever did, so I am satisfied that this was the solution. Best of all, contrary to what I was told by the people on this forum (not a knock, just a clarification) I did not lose any recorded programs, either on the box itself or on the external. Thought here was that when I put the new box on and connected the external drive to it that it would scrub all my recordings, it did not, I was able to see everything on the external. Also, when I switched back to my old box, all of the recordings I had on that were still there. I am retuning the new box.

I hope this is of help to someone else experiencing the same problem.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Bringing up the guide and channel changes should be (near) instantaneous.  You probably should contact Verizon and ask for help as it sounds like the box isn't working right.

I could also be lots of IR interference or a bad remote, but I suspect a bad box.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
famattjr1

Thanks. I was just going to do that but figured I'd check on the forum first.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Power cycle the STB and see if that corrects the problem first.

0 Likes
famattjr1

Did not work. Used the online thing to troubleshoot box, no good. Did online chat-reset remote to factory settings, no good. Then he says remote (only 6 mos old) may be bad. That will be $14.99 to replace but good news is, it's warranted for a whole 3 mos! Yay! I said you are out of your mind, if the box goes bad do I pay for that too? I am paying to rent the box and remote comes with it. Needless to say I am getting new remote no charge. I still have the card from the Optimum guy who wants me back and will pay the cancelleation charge. I tell you, FIos TV is good but I never had this problam.Also never had the problem I keep getting with certain stations "this station has become unavailable at this time. We are re-authorizing it. Please press menu, blah blah blah." Then it comes back. Or the black screen with the scrolling Verizon logo: "please press menu to resume" then I have to press it 20 times. 

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

I read that on some TVs when the picture is set to vivid it interferes with the IR signal from the remote to the STB.

0 Likes
famattjr1

Well, they replaced the remote-no difference. I knew it, how could the remote take 10 minutes to warm up? Has to be the box. I'll just solve it by changing channels on the box controls until it warms up. 

0 Likes
Pahiker1
Contributor - Level 1

I have this with my QIP7232, at this point I am assuming it's the box, not the remote. I just received a new box, tried the remote that came with it, same symptoms. In a couple days I am going to try the new box, but I have to give everyone time to watch what is on the old box first.

0 Likes
Pahiker1
Contributor - Level 1

Update: replaced the box, no difference. Have an appointment with a tech service rep today, will see if that solves it. It's very annoying not being able to change channels, skip through portions of a show, or even setting something up to record without having to hit a button several times before it is accepted by the box.

The worst is changing channels, try to go to 689, by the time it accepts 8 it has already changed to channel 6 and is now going to change to 8 because there is no backspace button (assuming it would accept that press before it changes the channel).

0 Likes
famattjr1

As I think I said before, one workaround is while it is warming up just walk over to the box and change channels on the box control. That only applies to changing channels. Next time I see a Verizon truck around I want to talk to the guy, see how common this is. I never had this problem all the years I was with Optimum. 

0 Likes